PDA

View Full Version : Locating leaks and clogs

billyinvt
02-21-2018, 12:20 PM
I am curious to know what a good technique is for locating clogs and leaks. What am I looking for? I know guys can hear leaks if they have pumps, but I'm strictly gravity. Two of my lines are at 27, 28. Two are significantly less (12, and 7) and I need to locate the problem.

maple flats
02-21-2018, 03:42 PM
You must walk the lines. At the point where each T is adding a drop, look for tiny bubbles, they will indicate a leak. Also look for the bubbles entering at the tap. A spile may be leaking either as the tubing connects to the tap, or the tap may not be making a good seal at the tap hole or you might have hit some brown wood when you drilled. Do all of the lines have a similar drop in elevation? When checking the lines are the bubbles moving faster in some than the others? Anything that is different, should be checked.
On another point, if the bubbles (air/sap/air /sap and so on) look similar and move at a similar speed, you could have some defective gauges if you are getting the reading on individual gauges.

Sinzibuckwud
02-22-2018, 04:16 PM
What would cause a consistent large gap in the sap-air-sap between last tap and end of line about 25-35ft in the middle of the section?
Im pretty tight one or two minor leaks popped up over the warm spell.

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

BSD
02-22-2018, 05:46 PM
I am curious to know what a good technique is for locating clogs and leaks. What am I looking for? I know guys can hear leaks if they have pumps, but I'm strictly gravity. Two of my lines are at 27, 28. Two are significantly less (12, and 7) and I need to locate the problem.the gauges will give you an indication of how far down the line to look for the leak. 13' and 8' down in elevation from the vacuum gauge.

GeneralStark
02-22-2018, 06:14 PM
What would cause a consistent large gap in the sap-air-sap between last tap and end of line about 25-35ft in the middle of the section?
Im pretty tight one or two minor leaks popped up over the warm spell.

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

A leaking spout could cause that. Tap it lightly once or twice

billyinvt
02-24-2018, 06:03 AM
Thanks for the help. I’m headed out to walk the lines today. I’ll know soon if I get it fixed. The weather next week is looking IDEAL!

amasonry
02-24-2018, 07:46 AM
I run my hand on tubing when walking lines, that will find chews. and a pair of needle nose to pinch possible problem lines . when I pinch the drop, if it has a leak you will notice in the bubbles slow down in the line. good luck

Sinzibuckwud
02-24-2018, 12:59 PM
A leaking spout could cause that. Tap it lightly once or twice
That was the culprit allright, what a difference 1/16" can make.
Thanks for the help.