PDA

View Full Version : Draw off hole too high no flow

Mikemartin274
02-21-2018, 12:27 AM
I have a 2x4 supreme pan. First year I ran it two inches deep had never ran or seen evaporator run so played it safe. 2nd year I went to 1"you a veteran stopped to visit said I was still too deep. I've heard many times that 1/2"-3/4" is good. When I run that low the syrup is below the draw off hole and won't come out. Ideas ?

Haynes Forest Products
02-21-2018, 12:45 AM
Well sounds like you have to run it deeper. You could customize the pan down the road but this season run it deep and draw off. You stand the chance of burning your syrup and scorching the pan if you don't have enough depth to have the syrup flow out freely. The boiling syrup doesn't flow like a solid stream will so it will be slow and when things start to happen and you cant get the finished syrup out quickly it can boil up and it wont come out the valve. You will think that because the level is high it should just flow out.....................NOPE it will just make nice big shinny bubbles that will start bursting with smoke and you are screwed.

Now I would call the veteran up and ask him what he thinks about defying Physics.

Dennis H.
02-21-2018, 05:38 AM
You can run the pan at any level as long as it will flow out the outlet.

As for the 1/2-3/4 level that your were told, that is not cut in stone. Basically you want to run it as low as you feel comfortable. The shallower the pan is the quicker it will evaporate BUT the closer you are to a big oops.

I have a Lappierre 2x5 and I ran my pan right at 1". I would rather have a little wiggle room when it comes to possible destroying a syrup pan.

maple flats
02-21-2018, 07:39 AM
Go for 1", I think 1" is far more common than 1/2" or even 3/4" for the depth in the syrup pan. Going down to 1/2 and even less is somewhat common for a raised flue pan, but not the syrup pan. Recheck your pan for level.

Haynes Forest Products
02-21-2018, 08:19 AM
Mikemartin forgive me for not knowing much about this pan. Could you measure the distance from bottom of pan to the top of inside of the draw off port. Your draw off port is a funny thing when you want liquid to flow out of it. Having 100% boiling water wont flow that well out the port now try it with 66% sugar and it is a totally different situation. Your dancing with the devil if you get below the top of the port opening because you will be only drawing off (for the lack of a better term FOAM)

If your port was 2" no problem 1/2" big problem.