PDA

View Full Version : Feed Float Box Help

Urban Sugarmaker
02-20-2018, 04:09 PM
I'm operating a CDL 2x6 raised flue rig this year. I am having trouble getting the feed float box adjusted. Seems like it is closed or gushing and sap in the flue pan ranges from 1/2" to 3/4" above the flues. It doesn't seem steady.

I keep a constant 10-12 gallons in the head tank to keep the head pressure constant and not so much that it overpowers the valve on the float.

I also try to keep firing consistently too avoid large swings in temp but when the flow starts gushing the sap in the whole feed side of the flue pan pretty much stops boiling. Not efficient. Maybe I need a preheater and hood.

Any tips? I couldn't find much in the search.

Haynes Forest Products
02-20-2018, 04:17 PM
I have a CDL and my first channel doesn't boil and once up and running smooths its self out'Yea a pre heater and hood will help But how does the entire rig work once you have run it a few hr's. do you have the olde style the one with the big brass plunger style that points down. Once my rig is working you only see bubbles under the sap level. I wouldn't measure the depth in the flue valve box.

Urban Sugarmaker
02-20-2018, 04:37 PM
After a few hours running it seems to be okay but boil in the feed side of the flue pan is never as vigorous as the other side. The float valve is the kind with the foam gasket and it is horizontally mounted.

maple flats
02-20-2018, 05:56 PM
Is the float valve seal in good condition? I don't have a CDL but on my Thor the float maintains the sap level at whatever I set it. My head tank sets 16"-20" above the float valve inlet and it make no difference how full the head tank is. I can have anywhere from 15 gal up to a full tank which is 150 gal, it makes no difference. The reason I say 15 gal as the low, is because I only get that low when shutting down, and I remove the float at 15 to get all of the concentrate to a full boil before I shut down. I suspect the gasket or whatever the seal is made of is defective.

mol1jb
02-20-2018, 06:01 PM
Are you using defoamer? On my first test boil I was not and had similar issues as you are describing. Next day I boiled with defoamer and the float box worked much better

Urban Sugarmaker
02-20-2018, 07:17 PM
Are you using defoamer? On my first test boil I was not and had similar issues as you are describing. Next day I boiled with defoamer and the float box worked much better

Yes I use defoamer. I use 1-2 drops per firing, sometimes less.

Is the float valve seal in good condition? I don't have a CDL but on my Thor the float maintains the sap level at whatever I set it. My head tank sets 16"-20" above the float valve inlet and it make no difference how full the head tank is. I can have anywhere from 15 gal up to a full tank which is 150 gal, it makes no difference. The reason I say 15 gal as the low, is because I only get that low when shutting down, and I remove the float at 15 to get all of the concentrate to a full boil before I shut down. I suspect the gasket or whatever the seal is made of is defective.

It's brand new. Just seems like a lot of level fluctuation for a float. The syrup pan float is perfect but this one might as well be manual feed. My head tank is probably several feet above the float. Definitely made a difference having more sap in the tank.

I'll play with it some more. New rig, so there's always some debugging.

Potters3
02-21-2018, 12:56 PM
I would try going a little deeper 1 to 1.25" over flues, a lot of float systems work better a little deeper. Also check that the plumbing from feed tank to float box is twisting the box which would crew up valve shutting off. Put hangers or brace so no pressure on the box