PDA

View Full Version : Preventing finish pan from boiling over

emq
02-20-2018, 11:39 AM
Iam using a14x24x10 inches deep stainless pan on a 2burner propane stove
Syrup close to finish but not quite there then wham boils up ready to go over.
Sap height was about 5 inches from top
I've been using this pan about three years and haven't had this problem until now
What can be done to prevent this. Temp prior was 220 but didn't float my hydrometer.
Thanks

psparr
02-20-2018, 11:48 AM
Some form of defoamer is about the only solution. Foam tends to get worse toward the end of the season.

lords sugaring
02-20-2018, 12:12 PM
Running 5 inches deep is quite much. You should really be running 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch in that pan. If your not comfortable running that low 1 inch is plenty. It'll help and boil much faster with shallower depths. You also want defoamer of some type. If you don't have a maple supply place near by and can't wait on shipping to you then a few drops of vegetable oil should do the trick

emq
02-20-2018, 12:34 PM
Sorry I forgot to mention this was my finish pan
after I draw off the evaporator

Haynes Forest Products
02-20-2018, 01:10 PM
The OLD FORGOT TO MENTION TRICK EH You still have a few secrets your hiding. Did you just mix in DE for a filter press?? Did you just mix it rapidly? I have a finisher that is 16 deep and when you bring that deep of a pan of syrup to a boil your in for a surprise. Always have defoamer ready because its hard to differentiate between boiling sap and foam SOME times. Plus don't forget the 5 points over density boiling trick. That one will also make some body parts pucker right tight.

emq
02-20-2018, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the info

gbeneke
02-21-2018, 12:20 PM
You might try the old trick of putting a wooden spoon in the near syrup, it stops boil over without stopping the boil.v

Trapper2
02-21-2018, 01:14 PM
You might try the old trick of putting a wooden spoon in the near syrup, it stops boil over without stopping the boil.v

Maybe a 2X4?

emq
02-26-2018, 10:32 AM
I did try the wooden spoon trick and it seamed to work
I put two across the top of my pan and it boiled up to them but not over
Never used Defoamer and wanted to stay away from it this boil
Thanks for the info.