PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about converting to metric system...

BSD
02-20-2018, 07:32 AM
I'm a red blooded american, I love guns, bacon, and maple syrup, but i've got to say. dealing with gallons, quarts, pints, is just a royal PITA on this scale! I'm seriously thinking about switching how i record and report numbers to the metric system. This year I've been trying to document more of my operation in preparation for becoming Certified Organic (much of it is just record keeping and documentation).

I have tank monitors that operate on Sonar, and it is much easier to use CM's to report. I have flow rate monitors on the head tank, into the evaporator, and will be adding a home made auto-draw off by next season as well (if not late this season). All of the monitoring equipment is 10x easier to program and figure out in liters or ML. So we currently record in Liters, and then convert to quarts/gallons in the same log file.

anyone want to start a movement with me? seriously.

maple flats
02-20-2018, 07:44 AM
I'm not sure about converting now, but I sure wish that the founding fathers had gone metric when the country was first formed. Everything is just a matter of where the decimal point is.

BSD
02-20-2018, 09:46 AM
i have no problem selling in quarts/gallons/pints/oz bottles. but for the purpose of record keeping, i think i'm going to just start using the metric system. it's just so much easier to do the math in your head or in log form. Especially since i use IBC shipping totes, which are conveniently 1000 L capacity.