PDA

View Full Version : tapping bit vs regular drill bit - any diff?

Galena
02-20-2018, 07:05 AM
Hey all, what exactly is the advantage of a tapping bit over a regular drill bit of the same size? Do they come in different sizes? Isn't how you use the drill (or brace and bit, as I do) that matters? I am trying to justify spending $35 or so on a drilling bit and don't really want to if I don't have to.

psparr
02-20-2018, 07:11 AM
Once you try a tapping bit you will never go back. I am about the cheapest person there is, so it was hard for me to break down and buy one. Best maple money I ever spent.

BSD
02-20-2018, 07:16 AM
a good tapping bit can be bought for $18 from bascom's. money very well spent. they absolutely drill better than a "regular" bit.

Maplewalnut
02-20-2018, 07:18 AM
yes, yes, yes. Buy a tapping bit, you wont be dissappointed

Galena
02-20-2018, 07:22 AM
Just visited CDL site (I'm in SE Ontario) and they are listed in catalogue around $20. Allowing for retailer markup and taxes will run close to $30 CDN.

I still see nothing different between them and a normal drill bit. Can someone please explain exactly what is so different about them?

BSD
02-20-2018, 07:41 AM
Just visited CDL site (I'm in SE Ontario) and they are listed in catalogue around $20. Allowing for retailer markup and taxes will run close to $30 CDN.

I still see nothing different between them and a normal drill bit. Can someone please explain exactly what is so different about them?it's all in the fluting of the drill bit. i'm sure a real wood worker could tell you all about it, but to my untrained eye. that's the only thing i can tell you. perhaps try to find a local producer and see if you can buy one of their used ones off them? bigger producers are going to buy new bits every year, if not more often. if you're a small operation/hobby it will still work for you. but a big operation wants a very efficient bit to set tap holes.

littleTapper
02-20-2018, 07:54 AM
The two tapping bits I own are considerably sharper than any other drill bit I've encountered (like don't accidentally touch it). I've tried to use a few regular bits and they just don't make anywhere near as clean of a hole. Worth every penny.

wiam
02-20-2018, 10:35 AM
Drill cleaner hole. Remove chips better.

GeneralStark
02-20-2018, 12:14 PM
Drill cleaner hole. Remove chips better.

Exactly. But if you are only tapping a small number of trees you can certainly get by with a good quality non-brad point 5/16 wood bit.

That said... I agree with others that it is worth the extra cost for tapping trees.

lords sugaring
02-20-2018, 12:26 PM
I'd say even small producers should take the plunge and buy the proper bit. I was using a throw away bit the past 4 years and would buy a brand new one every year. Should have bought the correct bit to begin with. Now I'm running into problems off 75 taps before getting this bit with leaking spiles. Dam near every one leaks around the tap hole and leaks so bad it hits the ground. That's a lot of sap wasted and not going into my buckets. I didn't think it was a big deal until running into this problem. I thought it was just the new spiles I started using but it's definitely something to do with the bit. The new one has a super clean hole that makes the spile fit perfectly with no leaks. I think the other bit would rip up around the seat of the spile causing it to leak by onto the ground.

Michael Greer
02-20-2018, 01:08 PM
If you're using a brace and bit, make sure it's razor sharp, which only takes a few seconds with a file. If you're using a cordless drill and a spiral type bit, the tapping bits are worth it.

maple flats
02-20-2018, 06:11 PM

I still see nothing different between them and a normal drill bit. Can someone please explain exactly what is so different about them?
Are you saying your dealers add markup on top of the catalog price? Here the price is whatever the catalog shows and every once in a while there's a dealer who discounts a little. Here farm exempt has no tax added, but a home hobbyist with just a few taps for family and friends will have tax added.

wiam
02-20-2018, 06:17 PM
Exactly. But if you are only tapping a small number of trees you can certainly get by with a good quality non-brad point 5/16 wood bit.

That said... I agree with others that it is worth the extra cost for tapping trees.

I buy a new but every year to tap 900. That would last many years for smaller producer.

Galena
02-21-2018, 08:41 AM
Hi all, thanks for the advice - I tapped last night with my old bit, albeit much sharper than before, though I've never used it fort anything but tapping. It did the job.

Big Daddy's Sugar Shack
02-21-2018, 11:29 AM

I bought one of them, from CDL, and broke it on the first tree with a regular Dewalt 18v drill. I am fairly "new" to this, but the metal seemed really soft. I got my next cobalt drill bit at Princess Auto for $15 and it has never gone dull, drills for my 5/16 taps no problem and works great. The tree with the bit still in it might never forgive me and has never run the same again ;)

EBG18T
02-21-2018, 05:33 PM
Tapping bit is so clean. I just picked up 2 at the CDL distributor Saturday for $18/each