PDA

View Full Version : Using Porcelin Tile to Cover Ceramic Blanket on Raised Flue Arch

TomorrowRiverMapler
02-19-2018, 08:46 PM
Looking for opinions on using 12x12 porcelain tile to cover the ceramic insulation under my raised flue section of my new 2x6 Smokey Lake arch I just finished insulating? I have heard of problems catching the ceramic blanket with the flue brush because it's so close and thought that the thin porcelain tile would work to protect the blanket and minimally interfere dimensionally with the gap. (Also not to mention a lot lighter than using even half bricks) Porcelain tile is fired at 2300 degrees and is considered somewhat refractory so I'm thinking it should hold up. Has anyone done this?

Cjadamec
02-20-2018, 05:50 AM
I would use the cheapest ceramic floor tile you can find. Its not going to last forever and it will start to crack after a while but it tends to crack in clean strait lines so it will stay in place even when it does crack.

You can also surface coat the insulation blanket with refractory cement.

maple flats
02-20-2018, 06:09 AM
It sounds like it should work fine. Try to get the insulation under the tile the right thickness so any loss of height will not leave the surface of the tiles any more that 1/2" below the flues, 1/4" is best.

mike z
02-23-2018, 10:38 PM
I've used porcelain tile in my S.L. evaporator just as you described the last couple years. It did crack after the second year. I bought another tile to replace the broken one. I found too, that if I just leave the ceramic blanket insolation unprotected, the draft alone over time with tear it apart. Another advantage of the smooth tile is that it stays clean of ash. I believe the tile works as a quick, cheap, temporary fix. Millboard is probably a better solution, but costs much more.

Scm
02-24-2018, 07:01 AM