PDA

View Full Version : Interesting clog on 3/16

mol1jb
02-19-2018, 08:06 PM
So I was leak checking my lines on Sunday and came upon a section that had some unique flow. It was a 50ft section of line that was slowing down and speeding up over amd over. We were quite puzzled by it until we found a union fitting that has an 1/8 in clog of wood chips. It must have only partially clogged the line as the vacuum built up and pulled through, built up and pulled through. Never seen that before.

ryebrye
02-21-2018, 10:54 AM
So I was leak checking my lines on Sunday and came upon a section that had some unique flow. It was a 50ft section of line that was slowing down and speeding up over amd over. We were quite puzzled by it until we found a union fitting that has an 1/8 in clog of wood chips. It must have only partially clogged the line as the vacuum built up and pulled through, built up and pulled through. Never seen that before.

That's a good pattern to look for. I haven't seen any clogs in my setup yet - on year #4 of this 3/16 tubing so maybe I haven't been looking hard enough. I'll head out into the woods and be on the lookout some more for that.

Another interesting sap flow pattern I've seen a few times is where the bubbles start going back uphill, then back downhill, then back uphill, then back downhill - a bit of a see saw pattern... that was tied to a very small pinhole leak on a section of tubing next to a tree that I think maybe was almost "breathing" closed if that makes any sense - it was like it would leak then not leak, leak then not leak... weird stuff. I didn't get any video of it before putting a union in that section and making the problem go away entirely though.