PDA

View Full Version : Slow going

lords sugaring
02-18-2018, 09:14 PM
The start of this season already isn't looking good for me. Pulled a whopping 15 gallons of sap from 75 buckets today and they've been in a week. I can't wait to go vacuum. These buckets will be the death of me, I don't seem to get good runs from any of my trees. Hope everyone has a good season.

Russell Lampron
02-19-2018, 05:46 AM
The temperatures haven't ideal here and the vacuum hasn't pulled in much here yet. I finished tapping Saturday morning and turned on the vacuum Saturday afternoon. By the end of the day I had pulled in about 80 gallons from 715 taps. Yesterday wasn't much better but I did finish getting the lines flushed and started saving the sap around 3:00. at 6:30 when it froze up I had 100 gallons in the tank. With Buckets you probably wont see much until next weekend. You will get something late today but I don't know how long it will run for you without a freeze which isn't going to happen until Thursday. Hang in there, it's still early.

Dill
02-19-2018, 06:56 AM
I was all excited yesterday it was flowing HARD at noon but that only lasted about 2 hours, and its 14 here right now, so everything is froze up. Its slow going here too.

BAP
02-19-2018, 07:57 AM
Gota remember it is only the 3rd week in February, still a long ways to go before sugaring is over.

lords sugaring
02-19-2018, 08:27 AM
Yes I know it's still early and am hoping that it turns around. From past experiences it's started this slow and stayed this slow all season until it came to an abrupt stop. Granted I'm tapping virgin trees on my new property this year so don't really know what to expect, all I can do is hope for the best. I'm about to be looking to buy sap just to get some use out of my new rig. The wife won't be to happy if I don't use it that much this year and neither will I.

red maples
02-19-2018, 02:07 PM
slow going everywhere I was hoping to make some January syrup but it never happened. it was flowing good on Friday hardest I have seen it coming in yet. but when the nights are too cold it takes too long for things to really get going. the majority of my woods are pretty cold too so they need the warmer temps not sun (because it doesn't reach them very good. unfortunately the neighboring lot is loaded with hemlock so very little light gets through back there.

don't worry things will break loose. and if you go to vacuum that evap is gonna get real small real quick!!!