PDA

View Full Version : A question for "the Doctor"

prairietapper
02-18-2018, 07:52 PM
I have seen the comments on used repurposed barrels and totes and I get it.
Yet what about this one. My friend is the head of maintenance at a food processing plant. He can supply me with a few 200 gal totes and more than I can imagine needing of 55 gal barrels. They are used once and contained food grade 30% hydrogen peroxide for sanitation of food equipment. then received a fresh water triple rinse. I am considering using them for sap hauling. thoughts? the 55's are the thick double layer kind. ( there are plenty of them that were used for other products including foods. that I did not even consider using but the HP ones perked my interest and I could not really see a down side since they are still labeled and we know which ones are which. So I thought I would ask the experts. :)

bigschuss
02-18-2018, 07:59 PM
Well, I'm no doctor, but compared to some of the totes I'm reading about other guys using for sap I think a little residual H2O2 is a good way to go. Rinse them out. H2O2 breaks down to harmless H2O and O2 spontaneously anyway. I'd use them!

BSD
02-18-2018, 08:19 PM
Well, I'm no doctor, but compared to some of the totes I'm reading about other guys using for sap I think a little residual H2O2 is a good way to go. Rinse them out. H2O2 breaks down to harmless H2O and O2 spontaneously anyway. I'd use them!sounds good to me. can't get any cleaner tote than one used to haul h2o2

Haynes Forest Products
02-18-2018, 09:57 PM
Well we used to recommend rinsing your mouth and brushing your teeth with HP for people with bad oral health/trench mouth.

maple flats
02-19-2018, 04:16 PM
As long as you rinse them well and let them air and get some sun. Sun actually helps break down the H2O2 into water and Oxygen.

Eberzin
02-19-2018, 05:36 PM
I bought food grade 55 gallon drums which were from Western Europe where supposedly the standards for food storage is higher. Anyway 2 had a mild vinegar and two had stronger vinegar. I washed and pressure washed the insides (tops cut off). Then I mixed baking soda and water and pasted it on the insides with a spackle tool. Let them sit in the sun for several days. Then repeated the baking soda process once more. You cannot smell a hint of vinegar. These food grade drums have a white liner. 3rd year using them. I was told to use the cleaner you can get at craft brew stores, but that was extremely expensive. After research, baking soda works well.

prairietapper
02-19-2018, 05:46 PM
years ago i took a a bit of heat on here after mentioning i used, used molasses and soy lecithin barrels for sap. it takes a lot of work getting that stuff out of barrels! these were a dream to clean for obvious reasons LOL. yes i went and got a bunch