PDA

View Full Version : Maple equipment standards

HermitageMaple
02-18-2018, 06:19 PM
I have a Grimm/Leader Stainless Soldered (lead free) evaporator from the early 1990's. I am wondering about my equipment and whether it will continue to test as appropriate. It came with Copper fittings and pipes in the flue pan, and brass fittings between pans. Also the fittings for the thermometers in the syrup pan are copper. float fittings are brass in both pans. site glass fittings are brass as well. Is my equipment adequate to todays task? does it meet standards? If not might I not be able to have the fittings replaced with stainless. I can find no definitive standards documentation to let me know where I stand presently. Please advise.
Thank You,
Tom Mallette
Hermitage Maple

maple flats
02-18-2018, 06:52 PM
To answer that, get a lead test kit from a hardware store. Brass used to contain lead, current brass is leadfree.

markcasper
02-18-2018, 07:10 PM
To answer that, get a lead test kit from a hardware store. Brass used to contain lead, current brass is leadfree.

Actually there is still brass out there with lead in it. The stuff that I have seen like at the farm store and that usually has a state of Cal. label or something to that effect warning of lead and cancer. But correct, more lead free brass is out there than what used to be, just have to double check more to make sure that it is.

Haynes Forest Products
02-18-2018, 10:08 PM
My flue pan float valve is brass and gear pump on my filter press (16 years old) and don't think they are lead free. I'm sure the FDA inspector will let me know.

maple flats
02-19-2018, 04:09 PM
In reference to the brass gear pump, mine was needing a rebuild, that's when I switched to an pneumatic powered diaphragm pump, one of the best upgrades I ever made.

saphead
02-19-2018, 05:45 PM
Overheard Bruce Bascom in a conversation stating that Grimm went lead free in 1991 and Leader in 1994.My Grimm Lighting pans are 1991 and I did check them w/lead test kit...lead free.Never thought to ckeck all the fittings with the kit. If you can change out the fittings go for it, but I know some some are odd balls like the flue pan to syrup pan valve.

HermitageMaple
04-01-2018, 07:43 AM
Ive a copper heat exchanger I built and soldered with lead free solder. Is copper a no no nowadays?