PDA

View Full Version : Dumping First Run of Sap?

Canada Maple
02-18-2018, 04:34 PM
I have been hearing that you should dump your first days run of sap because it may have off flavours and unwanted contents. Does anyone have any regulatory info or scientific proof?

Sugarmaker
02-18-2018, 05:35 PM
I boil it all!
Regards,
Chris

DrTimPerkins
02-18-2018, 06:12 PM
How are you cleaning your tubing?

kevinsnieder
02-18-2018, 08:24 PM
I always dump my first run or part of it anyways. Taste and smell will tell you a lot about your sap and if you should be saving it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woodsrover
02-18-2018, 08:42 PM
I love my first run. Hate to lose a drop of it!

Canada Maple
02-18-2018, 09:07 PM
I clean my 3/16 lines with alcohol, so I assume I needed to dump the first run from the line. But I should have specified that 90% of my taps are buckets. Do I have to dump the first run from the buckets?

Run Forest Run!
02-18-2018, 09:14 PM
There is no need to dump the first run from buckets. You're good to go!

Haynes Forest Products
02-18-2018, 09:18 PM
I don't clean my lines and when fixing lines I will end up with a small amount in my mouth and Ill keep dumping till it clears up and the snots mostly come out.

adk1
02-18-2018, 09:45 PM
Same here I let it dump until it runs clear

DrTimPerkins
02-19-2018, 07:22 AM
I clean my 3/16 lines with alcohol, so I assume I needed to dump the first run from the line. But I should have specified that 90% of my taps are buckets. Do I have to dump the first run from the buckets?

Correct. When cleaning with isopropyl alcohol (not allowed in the U.S.) or with many other types of sanitizers, the recommendation is to let the first run go on the ground. You don't need to do that with buckets as long as you rinsed them well after any type of cleaning.

blissville maples
02-19-2018, 08:22 AM
What's wrong with isopropyl alcohol, it evaporates.....we use acids in our evaporator and isopropyl alcohol is banned for is in lines?? Lol and acceptable levels of PFOA are ok in water supply as well as lead arsenic and everything else- but don't use isopropyl alcohol in America!!!! Love it......

I used to use some chlorine in water in combination with my vacuum system to clean lines out..... The chlorine does no good as you'll never kill all the bacteria or the footprint from them. What you can do is just rinse with plain water this will rinse most of the sugar out which is where all the boogers come from because that's what all the bio-film film grows on is the sugar. I usually let 4 to 5 releaser dumps go on the ground and the rest in the tank. As long as there is sugar in the sap don't worry about a few boogers, ot all gets filtered and sterilize during boiling. Flies, spiders, leaves, bark, wood shavings all add to the flavor!

blissville maples
02-19-2018, 08:30 AM
[QUOTE=DrTimPerkins;344458]Correct. When cleaning with isopropyl alcohol (not allowed in the U.S.) or with many other types of sanitizers, the recommendation is to let the first run go on the ground. You don't need to do that with buckets as long as you rinsed them well after any type of cleaning.[/QUOT

So isopropyl alcohol is banned in America but not Canada don't quote me but what is it 75% of the syrup is made in Canada and America allows them to bring it down here and put it on the shelves and Shaw's..... So we get told what to do by the American government and are not allowed to use alcohol but we can buy and consume syrup that is..... unreal.......this country is a joke what's the deal with telling everyone what they can do and when they can do it, no body is consuming enough syrup in a day to become sick from anything in it......ever wonder what comes in the water in your fountain drink from a fast food restaurant in the city, or do you think Pepsi or coca cola uses spring water in their soda's- no it's likely contaminated city water that comes from pcb lined tanks etc and simply no one has discovered this yet, and alcohol residue in maple lines is a real major concern huh, this is where your tax dollars goes folks so someone from the USDA can study alcohol in sap lines for two years then say. " Ah der, we better not use this anymore because uh well I don't know but we can't, now aren't I smart"

Bucket Head
02-19-2018, 09:17 AM
A lot of effort goes into getting the sap, so we don't let any sap hit the ground! However, we do not use any chemicals either.

Steve

DrTimPerkins
02-19-2018, 12:44 PM
What's wrong with isopropyl alcohol, it evaporates.....

I don't make the rules...just passing on what they are. IPA is not allowed in the US because nobody has registered it with the EPA as a sanitizer for use in maple tubing. Almost any type of sanitizer will leave a residue, so folks who are using IPA (in Canada) should either rinse or allow the first bit of sap to run on the ground to flush the tubing of this residue. In the US, don't use IPA. If you do, your syrup could be considered adulterated, confiscated, and destroyed.

DrTimPerkins
02-19-2018, 12:45 PM
A lot of effort goes into getting the sap, so we don't let any sap hit the ground! However, we do not use any chemicals either.

This is the approach used most often in the US, in combination with spout replacement annually and drop replacement periodically or the use of CV spouts/adapters. In Canada, cleaning tubing/spouts, mostly with IPA, is the norm.

DrTimPerkins
02-19-2018, 12:47 PM
So we get told what to do by the American government and are not allowed to use alcohol but we can buy and consume syrup that is.....

The flip side of this is that if you live in the US and want to put in 200 or 200,000 more taps, go right ahead. In Quebec you're not able to do that.

Haynes Forest Products
02-19-2018, 12:58 PM
If you want good clean water you will find it at a major brewery or soda manufacture. During a major weather event that pollutes the water supply their the ones with the ability to clean it and get it delivered. just saying.

hogisland42
02-19-2018, 01:26 PM
I enjoyed your rant Blissville maples. preach on!!!:lol:

Wannabe
02-20-2018, 05:44 AM
Come on Bliss, it's the government. They're here to serve and protect us...:D

maple flats
02-20-2018, 06:19 AM
Blissville, if you want IPA approved in the US, work with a manufacturer of it, pay all of the fees and go for it. Your pockets aren't likely deep enough for that nor if you get caught using it.

michael marrs
02-20-2018, 03:21 PM
I do not dump the first,, but went do pull jugs today, and one looked like coca-cola, ( it did get dumped). I should add , it did not have a smell to it, and did not have a weird taste to it, but still, I dumped it

Canada Maple
02-21-2018, 07:03 PM
Thank you for everyones opinion on this topic. Just tapped 80% of my trees today. Hoping for a good run this weekend.

johnallin
02-21-2018, 11:53 PM
Blissville, if you want IPA approved in the US, work with a manufacturer of it, pay all of the fees and go for it. Your pockets aren't likely deep enough for that nor if you get caught using it.

Not sure that was needed...who knows who Blissfield is let alone how deep his pockets are?

blissville maples
02-22-2018, 06:21 AM

Listen, I don't use IPA.....I use water, sanitizer is a waste of time and money. You will never get rid of biofilm, the sugar being rinsed from lines is all that needs be done......you don't need bleach, alcohol or anything else.

Furthermore we're not a bunch of kids, I'm sick of being told what to do by the government.... We are made to participate and Welfare Health Care which I don't and get fined $2,400 a year for, we are forced to be taxed nearly $0.50 on a dollar when you bring home anything on W-2s, we have no choice where our tax money gets spent or the effectiveness of it, to boot they left the FDA poison us with their "acceptable levels". Give me 10 minutes I could go on much further.....

Maple flats- I don't need to be worried about being caught cuz I don't use it I nearly can't stand people telling others to do things that don't matter as I said Canada can use it in 75% of the syrup is made up there you probably have family that has eaten Canadian syrup and don't even realize it........

The Canadian government doesn't seem to have a problem with it why is that, and if you ever noticed the Canadiens sit up there all quiet in the world don't bother anybody nobody bothers them then you got big brother United States down here trying to dictate the world have the Russians and Koreans after us the Canadiens don't do that crap because they're smarter
You know just like the whole gasoline thing you can get ethanol free from Canada but not in the United States when ethanol gas is more polluting in many ways and cost more to run things which is more pollution, then figure it all the extra repairs and parts Etc......

Oh I love America red white and blue baby just pay your taxes don't b****

blissville maples
02-22-2018, 06:22 AM
Not sure that was needed...who knows who Blissfield is let alone how deep his pockets are?

You're right it wasn't needed and it's a good thing I'm in a fairly good mood this morning or I could have been pretty ugly about it......
I'm trying to leave the Fists in the pockets these days......

blissville maples
02-22-2018, 06:25 AM
Come on Bliss, it's the government. They're here to serve and protect us...:D

Mmmmmm....... Keep believing that one !! ( I think you were being sarcastic)

BAP
02-22-2018, 06:37 AM
Another thread ruined by one person way out in left field going off topic.

bigschuss
02-22-2018, 07:17 AM
Another thread ruined by one person way out in left field going off topic.

Yeah....I need to grab a bowl of popcorn and sit back and enjoy this thread. Getting entertaining. Can't right now though. I hear some black helicopters with government agents coming to confiscate the half empty bottle of IPA I keep in my first aid kit.

DrTimPerkins
02-22-2018, 08:49 AM
OK Gents (and ladies)....back on topic please.

Bottom line is....if you sanitize with (most) chemicals, you should either flush with water or let sap run on the ground. Some people let the first run of sap go on the ground to flush out the lines even if they don't sanitize. Many people who don't sanitize process every bit of sap. Most of the time we process everything. This year we had a little short run for the start in one of our bushes that was quite nasty, so we dumped that. In the other bush it looked better, so we kept it. Altogether it made nice tasting Amber-Rich syrup yesterday.