PDA

View Full Version : Metabolism

doocat
02-18-2018, 11:58 AM
To anyone who has had metabolism. How long does it normally take once the barrel is hot packed to show signs (off taste). We have had it before, syrup tasted good, but after hot packed for month or so opened barrel and was definitely off taste. Thanks

OCHTO
02-18-2018, 07:56 PM
I can taste metabolism as soon as I get it to syrup.

markcasper
02-18-2018, 08:48 PM
To anyone who has had metabolism. How long does it normally take once the barrel is hot packed to show signs (off taste). We have had it before, syrup tasted good, but after hot packed for month or so opened barrel and was definitely off taste. Thanks

2013 brought alot of it. Put syrup in drum, markked as exc. quality and by summer when I uncorked for bottling, the meatabolism was there. Really depressing!!!

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-19-2018, 06:10 AM
I'd be willing to bet it was off flavor when you made it. It can be very hard to convince yourself the syrup has turned. We went through it last year once the yeast started pushing in the trees. Good barrel, questionable barrel and bad barrel that day. 3 of us argued all afternoon about the questionable. Turns out it was bad.......

DrTimPerkins
02-19-2018, 07:18 AM
Mild metabolism can be hard to detect in hot syrup. Once it has cooled the odor/flavor is more pronounced.

buckeye gold
02-19-2018, 10:14 AM
we never bottle until it's cooled or we will take a sample and chill it then taste. I have had several batches tasted fine off evaporator and when cool not, over the years. I ca usually tell by the smell off the finisher.

doocat
02-19-2018, 06:43 PM
Thanks for all the thoughts, Craig

blissville maples
02-20-2018, 05:04 AM
What does metabolism smell like and taste like?? Never witnessed it myself...

buckeye gold
02-20-2018, 06:17 AM
blissville, I'll explain it this way. I got in the car with my wife one day and she said you need a shower. She said I smelled like old dirty damp laundry. Buddiness smells the same way but worse. Sometimes it's kind of a burnt carmel smell.... maybe someone else has a better description.

doocat
02-20-2018, 06:43 AM
Our experience has been a sort metallic after taste.usually only in early light syrup.

DrTimPerkins
02-20-2018, 07:44 AM
What does metabolism smell like and taste like?? Never witnessed it myself...

Bliss....UVM Extension produces an off-flavor kit that includes metabolism, buddy, and sour sap off-flavors. I think you can get it from VMSMA...no idea the cost. Metabolism is very frequently confused for other things, mostly buddy or "woody", but it is different, and it happens in the early season typically in light syrup rather than at the end in dark syrup. Many people don't notice it much or don't dislike it. Others have very strong negative reactions to the flavor. To me it tastes like very musty cardboard, with a very strong and long-lasting aftertaste.

blissville maples
02-23-2018, 01:41 PM
Good info, ill certainly have to look for that kit, i may try after this post seems how trees are sluggish today- very interesting, I love tasting different syrups, I'd love to try some from out west to see if there's a major flavor variation. I tasted some other producers syrup at bascoms as he was in disagreement with the grader, and it had a funny flavor I could not put a name to, likely metabolism.

Michael Greer
02-23-2018, 01:52 PM
Buddiness smells like old socks. Metabolism smells like yeast...like a bakery. It's not really a bad smell, just a smell that shouldn't be in the sugarhouse.