PDA

View Full Version : First boil (trial) pix

Userj8670
02-18-2018, 08:25 AM
Fired up my smoky lake 2x4 yesterday on water just to c9nfirm she is good to go. I was pretty impressed with the performance. One thing I noticed is that I now have little white specks in the bottom of my pan? How do I remove them?

Urban Sugarmaker
02-18-2018, 08:31 AM
Fired up my smoky lake 2x4 yesterday on water just to c9nfirm she is good to go. I was pretty impressed with the performance. One thing I noticed is that I now have little white specks in the bottom of my pan? How do I remove them?

That's mineral deposit from your water. If you don't dry the pan after a water boil the minerals are left behind. You can reheat with a water/white vinegar mixture, let it sit overnight, then thoroughly rinse and dry. These white spots are nothing compared to what the sap is going to leave in the pan - ie sugar sand.

Userj8670
02-18-2018, 09:49 AM
So then I shouldn't be overly concerned with removing them at this point lol ?

Urban Sugarmaker
02-18-2018, 10:03 AM
It has never been a concern for me. It's up to you. You can also try some hot distilled water and then wipe it dry so there's no water left behind to leave a deposit. The pure water will dissolve the minerals better. That's why people with RO like to use permeate water to clean pans and equipment.

lords sugaring
02-18-2018, 10:30 AM
Looking good !

Userj8670
02-18-2018, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the comment!

Userj8670
02-18-2018, 10:34 AM
It has never been a concern for me. It's up to you. You can also try some hot distilled water and then wipe it dry so there's no water left behind to leave a deposit. The pure water will dissolve the minerals better. That's why people with RO like to use permeate water to clean pans and equipment.

I would love to get some permeate!

Few additional questions - given my ignorance with this unit - any idea how many gallons I should have for shutting down the evap? Is there a best way or method followed for shutting down?

Urban Sugarmaker
02-18-2018, 10:38 AM
On my 2x4 I felt comfortable slowing down with 5-7 gallons of sap left. At that point start backing off on the fire. You might want to back off with 10 gallons left and just get comfortable. It will take no more than a boil or two to get it down pat. You can always keep a 5 gallon bucket of water on standby if you run too low so you don't burn the pan.

Userj8670
02-18-2018, 10:46 AM
On my 2x4 I felt comfortable slowing down with 5-7 gallons of sap left. At that point start backing off on the fire. You might want to back off with 10 gallons left and just get comfortable. It will take no more than a boil or two to get it down pat. You can always keep a 5 gallon bucket of water on standby if you run too low so you don't burn the pan.

Thanks for the prompt reply. Yeah I was figuring 5-7 gallons. Now say I am boiling and hit my 5 gallon mark - would you then flood the pan - to help cool and ensure it gets boiled (to kill bacteria)? Also I would assume at that point to open the Firefox door to help slow things?

Eberzin
02-19-2018, 05:47 PM
When you get to sap, I wouldn't mind finding out what your boiling rate is. I am thinking of getting a new arch, for my 2x4. Do you have air under the fire?

Urban Sugarmaker
02-19-2018, 06:49 PM
I would not flood the pan unless you are in danger of burning it due to low level.