PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic fire blanket

khuberpt
02-17-2018, 07:33 PM
I am currently building my oil tank evaporator and will line it with sand, brick and some ceramic fire blanket. Where is the best place to order or directly purchase this? I plan to insulate the door and sides as needed to get me thru this season. Thanks.

Russell Lampron
02-17-2018, 08:22 PM
Amazon and ebay are your friends.

khuberpt
02-17-2018, 08:42 PM
What about Tractor Supply, Harbor Freight or Home Depot/Lowes??

mol1jb
02-17-2018, 08:49 PM
I got mine on amazon. They had lots of sizes

lew
02-17-2018, 09:14 PM
I've never seen it in those stores.

Cjadamec
02-17-2018, 09:35 PM
1 inch thick 24 inch wide by 25 foot roll on Amazon is about 90 bucks. It's plenty to line the entire inside of the tank.

MaplePittsburgh
02-17-2018, 09:45 PM
Yep, Amazon! Search for Ceramic Insulation. Are you just planning to line the outside of the barrel or will you be putting any on the inside? I'm thinking it will last pretty long on the outside but will be a pain to keep it dry unless you can pull your rig into the garage. And on the inside it would just get all burned up and clogged up, I would predict. I got some cheap pavers from lowes to use as insulation. If a few break, who cares. They are $1 each.

Hunt4sap
02-18-2018, 05:49 AM
My 55 g drum has 2" on inside b/c I found it on sale for cheaper than 1" for some reason 2 years ago
Put 1" firebricks over bottom and up sides ( no cement) just break them to fit in tight and I've had no problems

Hunt4sap
02-18-2018, 05:52 AM
Also bought on Amazon
Dang shoulda bought more when it was cheaper

khuberpt
02-18-2018, 07:36 AM
Yep, Amazon! Search for Ceramic Insulation. Are you just planning to line the outside of the barrel or will you be putting any on the inside? I'm thinking it will last pretty long on the outside but will be a pain to keep it dry unless you can pull your rig into the garage. And on the inside it would just get all burned up and clogged up, I would predict. I got some cheap pavers from lowes to use as insulation. If a few break, who cares. They are $1 each.

I will be lining the inside only. In years past I did sand and pavers on the inside and fire brick ontop of that. I have not glued them in the past, not sure about doing that this year. Do you know how long the ceramic blanket lasts? Kevin

khuberpt
02-18-2018, 07:37 AM
My 55 g drum has 2" on inside b/c I found it on sale for cheaper than 1" for some reason 2 years ago
Put 1" firebricks over bottom and up sides ( no cement) just break them to fit in tight and I've had no problems
How long will the firebrick last? Thanks, Kevin

Hunt4sap
02-18-2018, 08:47 AM
This is my second year on using both and there like new, just be careful when adding wood.
I used 2.5" self tapping SS screws( from inside screw points going out) and fender washers to hold blanket in place.
Add a fireplace grate on top of firebricks and you've got "AUF" (cheap way) my stack is 16' tall to get through our roof so it drafts really strong without a electric fan as long as you keep a little space between grate and firebricks...

lords sugaring
02-18-2018, 11:46 AM
The blanket should last a while as long as it doesn't get wet. I had some in my home built evaporator that sat outside and my blanket lasted about 2 years getting wet as a tarp didn't keep all the water out. I lined my barrel with 2.5" arch board cut into 2-3" strips length wise of board. That stuff worked great and I didn't have to use any fire brick. For my grates I ended up cutting up an old bed frame and laying them across the board. Cheap and effective !

Sugarbush Ridge
02-18-2018, 05:33 PM
How long will the firebrick last? Thanks, Kevin Years and years. Just don't drop of throw large pieces of wood on brick. even if a brick cracks, still ok as long as they don't fall out

MaplePittsburgh
02-19-2018, 10:56 AM
I'm thinking fire bricks would pretty much last you indefinitely in an evaporator that only gets run for one month out of the year. As long as you don't accidently crack one in handling. For what you need though, I wouldn't hesitate to use some bricks or pavers and just let a couple crack here and there.

Russell Lampron
02-19-2018, 11:47 AM
Fire bricks are pretty cheap at Home Depot. If I remember correctly they were $.95 each.

khuberpt
02-20-2018, 01:08 PM
Fire bricks are pretty cheap at Home Depot. If I remember correctly they were $.95 each.
I will check for them, thank you.

Couchsachraga
03-05-2018, 09:31 PM
I found fire brick even cheaper at my local ACE hardware... so you may want to check there too.