PDA

View Full Version : Y-connection question

mspina14
02-17-2018, 07:09 PM
I have about 100 taps set up on 5/16 tubing connected to a Lunchbox releaser/diaphragm pump.

The trees are red maples and spread out over my 5 acre lot with little to no slope.

I pull about 12-15 inches of vacuum with the lunchbox. This year, I have collected about 250 gallons of sap and it has worked well so far except for one problem.

I have a barbed "Y" connector in the middle of one section of my tubing:

On the 2 branches of the Y closest to the viewer in the above photo, the top branch connects to about 25 taps, and the bottom connect to about 10 taps. However, the sap in the branch with the 10 taps runs fine, but seems to restrict the flow of sap in the branch with 25 taps. I installed a value on the branch with 10 taps closest to the Y. When I close the valve, the sap in the 25 tap branch runs fine. When I open the valve, the sap in the 25 tap branch comes to a complete stop. :confused:

Anybody have any thoughts? Should I install a different type of connector?

Thanks

Mark

Scm
02-17-2018, 07:27 PM

Russell Lampron
02-17-2018, 08:20 PM
Strive for five is the rule on 5/16 laterals and pumped vacuum. Try to only put 5 taps on a lateral but you can have as many as 10. With the number of taps that you have you need to set up a mainline.

What is your indicator of sap flow. If it's bubbles moving through the tubing fast you've got a vacuum leak.