PDA

View Full Version : stringy syrup

bison1973
06-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Here's a question I've been meaning to ask but just haven't gotten to it until now.

Late this past season we were boiling down our last tank of sap. We stopped for the evening but weren't able to get to finish late the next afternoon. During that time the sap turned "goopy" and extemely cloudy. I've seen cloudy sap but never this goopy, stringy sap.

Sinse it was in the evaporator I fired it up and finished it off. The result was syrup that was had a very strange texture. It was very stringy and did not pour like syrup dors when finished.

My question is why did the sap do this overnight when it looked fine the day before? And is this syrup good for anything(would anyone buy it as commercial, etc)?

mountainvan
06-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Sounds like the sap fermented. I made the same stuff my last day, sold it too.

Russell Lampron
06-09-2007, 04:28 AM
The finished product is called ropey syrup. I made some this year too and sold it as commercial to Bascoms. I don't know the reason it did this but the sap that I made it with was a mixture of buddy stuff that I had drained out of the evaporator 2 weeks earlier and some sour smelling sap that had been sitting around for a while too.

Russ

markcasper
06-09-2007, 06:02 AM
You guys out east may be able to sell it, but no one in Wisconsin will give you one red cent for ropey syrup. At least not that I know of.

The was too bacteria infested, thats why it did it! The warmer the temps, as well as the longevity have everything to do with when it gets stringy. The closer you get too the end of the season, the less the sap is able to sit around without getting that way. I have seen it go bad overnight.

how many gallons of this do you have? hope not too much.

I had ten gallons one time that I dumped on top of the heifer feed. They LOVED it! Only did a quart at a time as to make it last. I have heard of people using it for bear bait.