PDA

View Full Version : Temperature or hydrometer?

David Wayne
02-16-2018, 02:50 PM
I bought a hydrometer and thermometer with the big #7 on it for this year. I just had my first draw off based off the calibrated thermometer but the
hydrometer is not reading more than 55-56 brix. which one do I go by? I thought if the syrup gets heated over 219 the sugar will crystalize.

Thanks
David

Mark B
02-16-2018, 03:00 PM
Go by hydrometer. That said, did you boil water to make sure your new thermometer is calibrated to your boil temp locally? The other thing I believe happens is that temperatures are not always homologous throughout a wide spread boil and yours may have found a warm spot.

tcross
02-16-2018, 03:03 PM
always the hydrometer. I use the thermometer to let me know when it's time to check it. usually if it hits 7 and I test it and it's syrup... the rest of the day once it hits 7 I start drawing, however i'll test each draw to make sure! once it goes below 7, I shut the valve.

to100
02-16-2018, 03:46 PM
When you test dial to 7 can you fresh sap? Or have to use house water?
Thanks

Marcus
02-16-2018, 07:01 PM
Use water so you set it to when water boils

Russell Lampron
02-16-2018, 07:07 PM
Trust your hydrometer! I calibrate my thermometer by testing the syrup with a hydrometer and setting the needle at 7 when I see the top red line at the top of the syrup. I do my finish checking with an Accu Cup and a dedicated hydrometer that only I touch that has tested by the state. I draw all of my syrup for a boil into a finisher and then correct the density and run it through the filter press.