PDA

View Full Version : Adding " nearup" to finished syrup

Hunt4sap
02-15-2018, 02:53 PM
Wondering your guys thoughts on me adding about 50 oz of finished syrup to about two and a half gallons of near up to give myself enough worth finishing on a 1 foot by 2 foot stainless steel propane finisher?

psparr
02-15-2018, 03:01 PM
That is how most small timers do it. Save up batches till you have enough.

Hunt4sap
02-15-2018, 04:43 PM
I knew that you could add near syrup batches together but I wasn't sure about adding near syrup to finish syrup and then finishing the syrup mixed in with the near up again

psparr
02-15-2018, 07:31 PM
Yup. May get darker but it is fine.

sticknstring
02-21-2018, 09:09 PM
I cooked tonight and it got late on me because the wi dy conditions slowed down my evaporating. I have about a half gallon or so of stuff that is close to being ready to finish, but not quite. Do i need to freeze it, or can i just keep it in the fridge around 34 degrees until i am ready to finish it? And would a plastic bucket or metal pot be better to keep it in?

sappytapper
02-22-2018, 08:05 AM
I just did the same thing last night. Have been worried about the sap from my first 6 taps going bad in the warm weather, so I boiled off the first 15 gallons on a turkey fryer and steam pan over the last couple evenings while I did stuff around the house.

Two nights ago I boiled off the first 7 gallons or so, and dumped the remaining 3 gallons into a food grade bucket and let that sit in my basement until last night.

Last night I added 5 more gallons of sap and got it down to about a quart and a half of nearup, which went into a 2 quart jar and into the fridge until I boil off a larger batch this weekend.

So, short answer, if you can get it down to a Small's she amount, it'll keep fine until you can get a couple more batches to finish.

You'll also have the additional advantage of letting some of the niter settle out while you build up the larger batches. To this end, I do a "pre-filter" step when it is at the nearup stage, running the nearup through a couple moistened bar towels before it goes into the jar to store in the fridge. I've found this drastically reduces the amount of filtering necessary for the final product.

maple flats
02-22-2018, 10:44 AM
If it's almost ready, you can just store it in a cooler area, don't even need to put in the fridge. It will be fine for a few weeks.