PDA

View Full Version : Tapping height

Jacob
02-15-2018, 09:50 AM
I use tubing into buckets in my attempt to save money I only tapped trees about 3 feet high now I am wondering if this was a mistake I am getting sap out if most trees but I have noticed some have a light brown almost looks like sand in bottom of buckets , do you get any less sap being tapped so low

DrTimPerkins
02-15-2018, 10:39 AM
No, you might actually get slightly more sap tapping lower down (more head pressure). The brown color comes from either tapping into poor wood or from rainwater running off the tree down the tubing (on the outside) into the bucket.

Jacob
02-15-2018, 11:45 AM
Thank you so much Tim I feel so much better now, A couple years back I used different containers and I would get rain water so I know what that looks like I will pay closer attention next time looking at it. All of the sap is not discolored just small amount and looked like sand but I feel so much better about the height you just made my day
Thanks Again
QUOTE=DrTimPerkins;343584]No, you might actually get slightly more sap tapping lower down (more head pressure). The brown color comes from either tapping into poor wood or from rainwater running off the tree down the tubing (on the outside) into the bucket.[/QUOTE]

Haynes Forest Products
02-15-2018, 01:31 PM
I know I seem crazy at times and this will prove it. What does this thread have to do with how your cable installation on your house was done. Ever wonder why they make all these crazy loops all over the exterior of your house right by the penetrations into your house or near the cable box??

Its called a drip loop so most of the water running down the cable doesn't get funneled into the wall, connectors or into the box.