PDA

View Full Version : Burbon Infused Maple Syrup

Circle C Farm
02-13-2018, 06:05 PM
Does anyone know how to make Burbon infused Maple Syrup. Thanks.

DrTimPerkins
02-13-2018, 06:22 PM
http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?31268-Making-Bourbon-Barrel-Syrup&highlight=Bourbon

S.S.S
02-13-2018, 06:23 PM
put maple syrup in once used freshy dumped bourbon barrel and depending on size of barrel let it age for certain amount of time.

maple flats
02-13-2018, 06:59 PM
It seems to me that by the name, it might not be the same as bourbon barrel aged maple syrup, is it maple syrup that has had bourbon added to it?

georgelineman
02-13-2018, 08:18 PM
I am more of an expert in the area of Bourbon infused Maple Syrup Producer.. . :)

BSD
02-13-2018, 08:21 PM
It seems to me that by the name, it might not be the same as bourbon barrel aged maple syrup, is it maple syrup that has had bourbon added to it?If that's the case I believe you need a liquor license to produce and sell it technically.

Last year I made for my own personal enjoyment. Bourbon Maple Syrup. I hot packed a bottle with 1 tablespoon of bourbon. it was great. by the end of 3 slices of french toast you've got a smile on your face.

Haynes Forest Products
02-13-2018, 08:59 PM
Wouldn't infusing mean adding something to the syrup verses aging it allowing the syrup to pick op the flavors from the barrel..
Now I think down the road there will be a need for clarification on what is infusion. I spent some time with a local brewer and when mentioned Bourbon barrel maple syrup he brought out his secret weapons on flavor infusion in beer and spirits.

Look up Barrel mill Infusion Spirals I have been soaking them in Bourbon for about a year and plan on putting them on jars of syrup and see what happens. I also want to put one in a bigger container for putting in a bulk container.

I see a problem with putting something in the jar that could be injested by accident. I don't plan on retailing it but having some fun.

maple flats
02-14-2018, 07:34 AM
I can't speak for other states (or Canada) but at least in New York State infused maple syrup, which is thus labeled is legal without a license. I still don't really know if that is the same as bourbon barrel aged maple syrup or not, but NYS Ag and Markets had an open letter in the NY Maple Producer's newsletter, The Pipeline" about a year ago giving their stand on bourbon barrel aged maple syrup and bourbon infused maple syrup. It was not defined however.
Going just from memory, I think there was a maximum alcohol % and I think that was 2%. If anyone knows different, please state the facts and your source.

maple flats
02-14-2018, 07:41 AM
I just did a "Google" search. The definition there says bourbon barrel aged and bourbon infused maple syrups are indeed one and the same. So, if Google is correct it is simply 2 names for the same product and process to make it.

esetter
02-14-2018, 07:50 AM
I am more of an expert in the area of Bourbon infused Maple Syrup Producer.. . :)
I really wish I would have came up with that one!! I am currently experimenting with this. I don't produce enough to fill a barrel. So , I took some pieces of oak 1'' x 4'' roughly and toasted them until dark brown. I soaked them in bourbon for a month in mason jars. I added the bourbon while the pieces were really hot and they seemed to absorb it quickly. I just took two of those pieces out of that jar , added them to a pint jar and hot packed syrup on top. Sealed the lid. Im going to taste test it after one week. Ill let you know how it went.

Super Sapper
02-14-2018, 11:56 AM
You can also buy the toasted oak aging chips and use them. What flavor would the syrup be picking up from the barrel other than bourbon? As far as alcohol content, it should be 0 as the bottling temperature is above the flashing point of alcohol. If just adding bourbon to syrup make sure you do not thin it out too much or it may mold.

maple marc
02-15-2018, 09:36 PM
According to a rep from the Ohio Department of Agriculture who spoke at our Maple Days conference, here in Ohio it is legal to store maple syrup in a barrel previously used to make bourbon. However, it is not legal to add bourbon to the syrup directly. This would be considered an additive and creates a processed food.

esetter
02-19-2018, 07:57 PM
It seemed to work well!! Incredible bourbon and vanilla flavor from the oak infused into the syrup! Hopefully I get the same results from the quart sized jars I packed the other night. FYI if you try this , leave a little extra space in the jar with the pieces soaking in bourbon. They swelled and I had to use pliers to pull them out.

Galena
02-19-2018, 08:08 PM
....I hot packed a bottle with 1 tablespoon of bourbon. it was great. by the end of 3 slices of french toast you've got a smile on your face.

Ooh I should try that! Sounds yummy!

OneLegJohn
03-02-2018, 06:53 AM
I just did a "Google" search. The definition there says bourbon barrel aged and bourbon infused maple syrups are indeed one and the same. So, if Google is correct it is simply 2 names for the same product and process to make it.

Definitely not one in the same. The the biggest difference? Splinters. Yes, the oak splinters are bad but the metal splinters from the hoops are the worst. Those ruin your day.

"Barrel aged" means aged in a barrel. By definition, you cannot make something 'barrel aged' without a barrel.