PDA

View Full Version : Whats a better drill?

eustis22
02-12-2018, 06:03 PM
Every year, same old story...drill seizes up and I end up having to saw it back and forth to get my tapholes set, evry season the holes leak like little babies with wet pants. I figured 20V was strong enough but is it? or it is MY 20V not strong enough?

DrTimPerkins
02-12-2018, 06:59 PM
What are you using for a drill and bit (and how old is the bit)?

Cjadamec
02-12-2018, 07:37 PM
I've had great luck with DeWalt cordless tools first in 18v and now in 20v. Always go for the xrp line and brushless motors. They cost more than the cheap ones but they are worth every penny.

To echo Dr. Tim I hope you are using a sharp tapping bit and not something out of the junk drawer.

WESTMAPLES
02-12-2018, 07:41 PM
what kind of drill is it ?? i use a older ryobi 18v +one drill with a good tapping bit and the holes come out clean. i just use the basic set your angle and plunge straight in straight out wide open technique.

Russell Lampron
02-12-2018, 08:01 PM
One of my drills is a Snap-on 18v and the other is a Snap-on 14.4v. Both drills will drill a hole without seizing. I use real tapping bits and can do about 200 taps on a new battery. If you're not using a bit made for tapping trees that will be your problem, not the drill itself.

Haynes Forest Products
02-12-2018, 08:56 PM
I do home improvement and all sorts of handy man work. I used to have the DeWalts and Milwaukee. I would get them rebuilt and spend a fortune on batteries. I decided to go the cheaper route and I started buying Ryobi and love them. Every year I will buy a couple drill impact combo kits that come with a Batt and charger. I have never warn out a impact and I use it for drilling and putting a lot of Torx's in to big wood. Now the drills will go all day long and with a GOOD fully charged battery you can go longer than you want without a break.

The only drill that I tossed in the scrap heap was the one that I dropped into my finisher while mixing in the DE and after quick rinse under water it worked for another few months. Now it did smell like boiling syrup when I worked it hard. It would bring back good memories when nit got hot. I can tap all day long with 3 good batt's.

wnybassman
02-12-2018, 10:07 PM
I do home improvement and all sorts of handy man work. I used to have the DeWalts and Milwaukee. I would get them rebuilt and spend a fortune on batteries. I decided to go the cheaper route and I started buying Ryobi and love them. Every year I will buy a couple drill impact combo kits that come with a Batt and charger. I have never warn out a impact and I use it for drilling and putting a lot of Torx's in to big wood. Now the drills will go all day long and with a GOOD fully charged battery you can go longer than you want without a break.

The only drill that I tossed in the scrap heap was the one that I dropped into my finisher while mixing in the DE and after quick rinse under water it worked for another few months. Now it did smell like boiling syrup when I worked it hard. It would bring back good memories when nit got hot. I can tap all day long with 3 good batt's.

Thank goodness that was a food grade drill!! :D

We have used Ryobi's in our business for a long time. I used my 18v green drill yesterday and got about 140 holes on the first battery, and I am not sure it was fully charged when I started.

Haynes Forest Products
02-12-2018, 11:07 PM
I subscribe to the 5 second rule and I had the baby out and under the water ASAP.

bigschuss
02-13-2018, 05:15 AM
Every year, same old story...drill seizes up and I end up having to saw it back and forth to get my tapholes set, evry season the holes leak like little babies with wet pants. I figured 20V was strong enough but is it? or it is MY 20V not strong enough?

On 49 taps your drill is seizing up? Sounds like it's your bit to me. Or your batteries are shot.

Tigermaple
02-13-2018, 07:21 AM
After going through many cordless drills in my business and on the farm I'e settled on Milwaukee. Their drill isn't that much better than Dewalt but their new batteries have no peer as of yet. This year I took a new M18 drill/driver (The hammer drill is a pound heavier and the chuck tends to seize) and a new leader bit and drilled over 900 5/16ths taps a day with the 9.0 battery. It was the first time a battery outlasted me. On the high speed setting I could drill a clean hole in about two seconds in frozen wood. It's pricey on its own, but they come in kits where a tool basically comes for free.

Cjadamec
02-13-2018, 07:45 AM
The dewalt 60/20v batteries can be used on both 60v and 20v tools. They have one that comes in a 9.0 amp hour size. I don't have one personally but we have them at work and they run for a very very long time. Definitely an expensive option for a homeowner but they sure do work nice.

BAP
02-13-2018, 08:58 AM
Unless you have a weak battery or drill that is burnt out, most drilling problems are the drill bit.

maple flats
02-13-2018, 09:07 AM
I've used DeWalt 18V for years, tried others, always went back to DeWalt. I now have DeWalt 20V. I have a cople of 2AH, some 4AH and 4 @ 6AH. I like the weight of the 2's best.
When using, be sure to have a sharp TAPPING bit, not something in a bit kit or from a hdwe store. Then as the drill shows signs of slowing, change the battery. Especially on the Lithium batteries, they go from good to dead very quickly, but while good they last far longer, it just at the end of charge where they go quickly to dead.

eustis22
02-13-2018, 09:17 AM
I will add that I am using a 1 year old Canadian tapping bit.