PDA

View Full Version : selling syrup

hookhill
06-04-2007, 08:17 AM
We jugged up 100 gallons of syrup this season and most of it is on shelves in the basement. Anyone have suggestions on how to sell this stuff. I work part time at a large hospital/research center and have hung ads etc. We sell 20 or so gallons to friends and some word of mouth but it is real frustrating trying to sell this stuff. We had good luck on ebay last December right before xmas but it wont move this time of the year. Also on ebay you have to sell it to cheap to get it to move. Any suggestions appreciated.

maplekid
06-04-2007, 01:31 PM
have you tried going to restaraunts or put out a sign. some country restaruants like cracker barrel buys syrup they bought 2 gallons off me so try giving them a try. you have more than me so theylle probably buy 10 or so gallons good luck hope it sells

maplehound
06-07-2007, 06:17 PM
I am sure in Vermont it is hard to find someone with a road side stand that doesn't already carry it, but here in Ohio most produce stands are eager to take your syrup in on consignment or even purches it at a wholesale rate so they can resell it. I also put it in bulk food stores and novelty shops. Also I work at a small IGA grocery store and they carry it for me.

Pete33Vt
06-08-2007, 03:42 AM
You could always try your hand at maple cream, or other value added products. I wish I had more to sell this year I could have got rid of alot more.Oh well mabe next season.

325abn
06-08-2007, 07:21 AM
Farmers Market, hang a sign on your road, bulk, Yard sale etc etc

cncaboose
06-08-2007, 11:25 AM
put a small box with 4-6 jugs in your car so that you always have it available. Have you got a locker at work? Put some there. People like to buy from folks they know, and having it right at hand often makes the sale at work, social events, church, etc.

802maple
06-08-2007, 03:04 PM
I have some friends that do what CNC said but they go one step further and they have a sign in there car that says. We have Vermont maple syrup on Board looking for a new owner.

325abn
06-09-2007, 09:59 AM
Good idea but how does the heat of a car effect syrup? I sopose its cooler in the trunk!

cncaboose
06-09-2007, 10:32 AM
A hot car would not be a good thing for shelflife. I hate heat so run the AC if it's 60 degrees out, keep it garaged and never leave the windows closed in the sun so my syrup doesn't get overheated.

802maple
06-09-2007, 12:49 PM
They don't carry alot and I believe they keep it in a cooler so it is more consistant temperatures. They even take their syrup into restuarants for their breakfast if the restuarant dosen't have syrup. They will offer up some to the next table sometimes and alot of the time it turns into a sale. All one has to do is promote their product and leave the rest up to the syrup.

220 maple
06-12-2007, 12:37 AM
Hookhill
We have had this very problem of having too much syrup bottled ahead. We stored it in a cool place and hoped for the best. If your new at this it will take sometime to build up some loyal customers, ones that call before you have made your first syrup of the season looking for some. One thing I did once was carry a pint and some plastic spoons around work. I give them a taste and it would sell itself after that. I'm still selling syrup several years later just from that one taste test. The best advice I would give you is purchase some of them 5 gal. syrup containers and heat pack it and hold it until you need it. It is much easlier to bottle when it's needed than bottle early and let it set in them expensive jugs. Each year I sell some wholesale to a large maple producer who never makes enough, I got twenty dollars a gallon for it, not what I avg. if it was all sold in pints and quarts, 30 dollars a gallon after expenses.
Mark 220 Maple