PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking Friday

mi-maple
02-12-2018, 08:53 AM
I'm in southern most michigan so I'm probably going to be ahead of a lot of you. I see lots of 40 degree days in the extended forecast now. I believe I'm going to tap on Friday, and Saturday if I'm not done. Anyone else thinking soon?

Marshalljt
02-12-2018, 08:57 AM
I was thinking Saturday myself. Midland

maple flats
02-12-2018, 09:28 AM
In central NY I'm finally seeing sap weather too. If my biopsy comes back good, I'll be tapping shortly after that's done. If it comes back bad, I may not tap at all this year but I'll try to get a friend to do my lease on shares if he will. That bush is about a mile to mile and a half from him.
I had been holding off until after the biopsy which was scheduled for tomorrow, they just called and it will be later in the week now.

Shirlsaw63
02-12-2018, 09:36 AM
I am thinking Saturday or Sunday for sure. I'm NW of Grand Rapids a bit.

Greenthumb
02-12-2018, 12:53 PM
Sunday in Livingston county I’m out of town Thursday till Saturday or I would do it Friday

michiganphil
02-12-2018, 02:54 PM
My wife and I were discussing the 10-day forcast yesterday...I am thinking taps will go in this weekend here as well.

claystroup
02-12-2018, 04:13 PM
I plan on tapping this Wednesday here in Almont. We are between Flint and Port Huron just south of I-69.

Clay Stroup

Thumb Bum
02-12-2018, 06:03 PM
I'm in the upper thumb and I'm going to start tomorrow

BoarsNest
02-12-2018, 06:11 PM
I'm looking at probably the 24th if the weather looks right. A few days between now and then look favorable, but my trees wake up pretty slow. We typically tap in GR a week early and haul up to the shack that first week. I'm not ready with my arch this week and hope to finish up a few things this weekend.

toquin
02-12-2018, 06:29 PM
Finishing up tonight and tomorrow on taps in S.W Mich. It was running on the south slope trees.Still 12" of snow

Kbrooks80
02-14-2018, 08:27 AM
Saturday for me in Lenawee County

steelguy
02-14-2018, 09:30 AM
did my 3/16 on gravity yesterday.
thinking Saturday for the buckets
hastings

A guy in Holland
02-14-2018, 09:54 AM
Located in Holland

I did a couple of test taps today and will probably get the rest in Friday. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out as we have about 14" of snow still on the ground.

I'm curious...usually, I don't have much if any snow on the ground when I have tapped in the past. In your experience how does heavy snow pack affect sap run?

HannahL
02-14-2018, 01:22 PM
I was thinking Saturday myself. Midland

I'm in the Clare area and thinking of holding off for a bit longer but all my trees are on a north facing hill side. I will definitely be watching the weather closely.

austin357
02-14-2018, 03:06 PM
My dad has property in Clair we are trying to figure out when we should tap up that way also

mi-maple
02-14-2018, 04:11 PM
Located in Holland

I did a couple of test taps today and will probably get the rest in Friday. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out as we have about 14" of snow still on the ground.

I'm curious...usually, I don't have much if any snow on the ground when I have tapped in the past. In your experience how does heavy snow pack affect sap run?

this much snow is new for me during maple season. it shouldn't affect the run much. its nice to have snow to pile up and keep the collection tanks cooler though. it is going to make hauling sap more difficult for me as I haul my sap on a trailer behind the mower. looks like some descent maple weather coming up. I think we're in for a good year.

ehausinfrats
02-14-2018, 07:59 PM
I’m tapping this Sunday. Got free labor Hope to get everything hung out. Still have lots to do but gaining. Was working on the arch’s base stack in January and discovered where it meets the stack it rusted through in January. Galvanized. Ordered new ss base and stack. Still waiting to get it in. Going to cover the hole with a ss draw tight coupler temporarily.
I’m usually tapped a week earlier but was just to cold. Plus foot of snow. Lost half the snow today and with a another warm day tomorrow with rain should drop it down drastically. Above/below freezing all next week ideal weather. South Jackson county. Good luck everyone. Let’s hope we can get a decent season this year.

Snappyssweets
02-16-2018, 09:53 AM
This just makes me sad I am missing this season.

Ah well post pictures of it all for me :)
Otherwise I would be getting ready to tap myself with what next week looks like especially.

The Sweet Spot
02-16-2018, 12:59 PM
We are in Petoskey about 35 miles south of the bridge. Our bush is on the north side of Gray hill with many south facing slopes. It does take them a couple of days to wake up so we are waiting for a 10 day that looks good. Y'all are about 2 weeks ahead of us typically. Good luck everyone! Oh hey Snappysweets (I hear you get to live this season through us) maybe you could run around and visit everyone else's sap shack. Something I miss with having my own.

michael marrs
02-16-2018, 02:06 PM
I am going to start to get ready after ice fishing sunday. I tap about 80 trees on our archery club land, make the syrup and donate it to my club for sale to members

michael marrs
02-16-2018, 02:10 PM
Hope I don't re-post don't see it anywhere, but I am in Flint area, and will get started sunday after ice fishing. I tap about 80 trees, off our archery clubs property, make the syrup, and donate it back to the club for sale as my own personal fund raiser. good luck everyone. I recall doing this last feb. because we were ice fishing that day, and it shot up to 61 deg.

mi-maple
02-17-2018, 08:15 AM
well I still haven't tapped. now Monday and Tuesday is supposed to be 60 degrees with a low of 55 on Monday night. I really don't want to expose taps to those temps right of the bat. now I'm not sure what to do

Wrangler
02-17-2018, 12:53 PM
We tapped 20 trees today. May tap some more next weekend but we want to see how the weather will play out. If we get the warm-up and the rain we may not be able to get to the back of the property where the rest of the trees are.

Ed R
02-17-2018, 02:18 PM
well I still haven't tapped. now Monday and Tuesday is supposed to be 60 degrees with a low of 55 on Monday night. I really don't want to expose taps to those temps right of the bat. now I'm not sure what to do I'm waiting to Thursday or Friday because of that.

astaeven
02-17-2018, 09:40 PM
Think i put in 10 to 15 taps on Sunday 2/18 around the house so family can monitor this week as I am off all next week. Between Newaygo and Howard City. If weather pans out I will put many more out on my week off.

Samh
02-18-2018, 08:10 AM
New to the trader this year. I really am enjoying reading through all the information on the site. We were hoping to get our taps in this weekend but with the major warm up think we’re holding off. It seems a few others our thinking the same.

mi-maple
02-18-2018, 04:52 PM
I went ahead and put my taps in the woods on vacuum, about 90. I will put all the roadsides and yard trees in after the warm up, about 160 or more. I figure this will break my work up and the taps on vacuum with check balls should hold up better to bacteria. they are running a bit right now. we shall see if they run all night, low of 37