PDA

View Full Version : arch?

plummaple
06-03-2007, 10:52 AM
I have finally completed my first cinderblock evaporator!!! I poured 4 in concrete base and laid block. I have to figure out what the best way to build up the back end, so that the flames hit the bottom of my 2' x 3' pan. I have holes for a stack, but should I use sand, concrete, dirt? This unit is out in the open and the top will be open to the environment all year, until I put the pan on in the spring. I dont want sand all over my yard (wife will choke me). Any thoughts? Getting rid of the wife is not an option.

maplekid
06-03-2007, 12:07 PM
what i did was i used a 24 inch wide piese of normal steel and made a lip at the base of it about3 in high and drove screws into the base ( for a stopper) and set it against the back were the stack is

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
06-03-2007, 02:23 PM
Sand works really good as you can move it and position it where you want it and it deflects heat fairly well.

TapME
06-04-2007, 07:57 AM
plummaple, I used old brick and broken concrete blocks to biuld up the part of the arch under the back section of the pan. It worked faily well and then I filled the cracks with sand so thebricks would not move. Ileft a space of about3/4's of an inch for the flames to travel to get to the smoke stack. Hope this helps.