PDA

View Full Version : Are these spiles right?

RobbieH
02-11-2018, 08:02 AM
Hi all. Last year I got so busy I forgot to clean my steel spiles. So needless to say they rusted... a lot. I threw them out and recently bought new ones from an eBay seller. I prefer the steel ones. I only put out between 20-30 tapes each season and hang buckets on them.

I have only boiled for a couple of years so I still consider myself new at this. So hopefully this new guy is just worrying too much:lol: but I was wondering if these taps I got are made the right way? I ask because the top and back of them look different than the ones I had before. Hopefully I am worrying for nothing, but thought I'd ask.

Also - can they go in the dishwasher? Or would boiling them in water for an hour clean them just fine?

Thanks!

southfork
02-11-2018, 08:44 AM
Those will work just fine in a clean tap hole. Personally, I would boil in clean warm water, no soap added.

Sugarmaker
02-11-2018, 09:01 AM
Steel spiles are probably going to rust if you clean them or not. our old steel ones were washed every year and re used over and over. Made lots of good syrup with them too.
The new ones you have look good.
Regards,
Chris

maple flats
02-11-2018, 12:54 PM
Try the plastic spiles and you will likely not go back to the steel ones. For one thing, those steel ones want a 7/16 hole, most plastic ones use a 5/16 hole in the tree, which closes up faster after pulling them. On plastic however you want them new each year, unless you use the zap bac ones, they are used 2-3 years.
One other way, using the steel spiles, clean them, then pack them in an oil such as canola, or safflower or similar. Then clean them in the dishwasher before tapping next season. That should prevent the rust.

Daveg
02-11-2018, 01:36 PM
4 minutes of boiling will sterilize them and if thoroughly dry and stored properly, they'll be good to go next year. No chemicals except H2O. What do you use for buckets?

Haynes Forest Products
02-11-2018, 05:02 PM
I would boil in clean warm water, no soap added.[/QUOTE]

I prefer this method of cleaning. :lol: Just having fun with you southfork. I still catch myself saying Hot water heater when in fact its a cold water heater.

southfork
02-11-2018, 05:16 PM
I agree Haynes, that was an interesting comment. Good luck this season.

Haynes Forest Products
02-11-2018, 06:08 PM
Southfork are you in the witness protection program? What part of Wisco are you at......close to Door

RobbieH
02-13-2018, 08:37 PM
Thanks all for the replies. Sounds like I'm good to go! I'll go ahead and boil them before I use them, since they are new. They have a strong metal smell to them. I'll boil them again after the season to clean them too.
Daveg, I use these 4gal white buckets that a guy gave me. He used to use them when he made syrup.
Thanks again. Hope the season is good to you all.

northwood
03-21-2018, 08:30 AM
I have some older spiles just like that. Mine are stainless steel so no worries about rust. As others have said, just boil em for a few minutes and your good to go. Try sticking a magnet to the spile, won't stick if it's stainless.

grizzlym
03-21-2018, 08:50 AM
Just my opinion, I always hated that style of spile. It was like driving a wedge into the tree. I used them one season and then tossed them for the cast steel spile. Last year I purchased a few of the blue plastic bucket spiles and loved them. The holes stayed open longer than the metal spile and the wounds healed faster. This year I only used the blue spiles. Never going back to the old ones. For less than a dollar each it was money well spent.