PDA

View Full Version : Well mate to collect sap.

pprus
02-11-2018, 07:49 AM
So when I bought my house it was on a well and had this big tank in the basement to store water. It is about 100 gallons. Then public water became available so I tapped into that and no longer am using this well tank. I have kept it with plans to make it in to a rain barrel but wouldn't it work for holding sap. It was used for drinking water. I was thinking if I cut the top off I could run the sap into it. My biggest concern is that the outlet on the bottom is a standard CPVC plastic pipe and once I collect sap that it would freeze and be useless. Thoughts?? I will only have about 30 taps.

Bricklayer
02-11-2018, 01:01 PM
It's a pressure tank, it will have a bladder inside of it. Probley not a good thing to use to store sap in. I've never cut into one but. The way they work is there is a bladder on top of the water that holds air like a big sack. When the well pump fills it with water it squeezes down on the water to pressurize the system.
I wouldn't use it for sap.
Look for a white plastic Drum. They work good.

maple flats
02-11-2018, 05:57 PM
It likely has contamination in it after an extended period of setting idle. The bladder in it would make it a very poor choice anyways.

Haynes Forest Products
02-11-2018, 06:14 PM
I have blown up a couple of those with SONICBOOM and they didn't have bladders in them but they get a good coat of rust/minerals from the well inside them. Now it would make a good moisture trap with a few modifications. A vacuum tank near a releaser?? or you could blow it up..............never mind the Sheriff wasn't happy.