PDA

View Full Version : Shurflo trouble shooting

KReinisch
02-11-2018, 05:32 AM
So I tapped yesterday and hooked my shurflo pump up. The sap was running good but not enough to build vacuum. I added a little water to the tank so I could get my recirculation line going. The vacuum jumped then. But once it hit 15 inches it pulsated and sap went backwards. So I messed with recirculation valve and got vacuum again but this time I could only achieve 10 inches and it would pulsate and drop to 8 inches. Any ideas out there?

Biz
02-11-2018, 05:41 AM
So I tapped yesterday and hooked my shurflo pump up. The sap was running good but not enough to build vacuum. I added a little water to the tank so I could get my recirculation line going. The vacuum jumped then. But once it hit 15 inches it pulsated and sap went backwards. So I messed with recirculation valve and got vacuum again but this time I could only achieve 10 inches and it would pulsate and drop to 8 inches. Any ideas out there?

What size lines are you using? If 5/16 or larger, you may have a sag in the lines. The pump will surge as it gets pockets of sap then air. The lines can't have any sag. Once I went to 3/16 the problem went away, the 3/16 lines are very forgiving of setup.

Dave

mike103
02-11-2018, 06:49 AM
x2 what biz said, also you may have a leak somewhere, check your fittings and spiles. if its surging its prob gasping on columns of air. walk your line from the tank towards the last tap checking t fittings. if you see fluctuation in bubbles / sap column from one side of t to the other, that might be a problem spot. or carry a vacuum gauge and use that. I spent 3 hours yesterday chasing one but after I found it shurflo jumped to 19" which is good for my woods... good luck

CampHamp
02-11-2018, 07:14 AM
But once it hit 15 inches it pulsated and sap went backwards. So I messed with recirculation valve and got vacuum again but this time I could only achieve 10 inches and it would pulsate and drop to 8 inches. Any ideas out there?

If sap is going backwards then the recirculating line worked for a while, built up pressure then it hit air. If you got 15”, then there are no “major” leaks. To find a leak, just use your hand to make a sharp upward bend in the tubing, so it builds a full column of sap. If you see air whooshing over the top, then keep walking up line and do it again. Bring a roll of electrical tape to fix a squirrel bite hole and a hammer to knock a lose tap...

Haynes Forest Products
02-11-2018, 12:32 PM
Don't discount something in the pump. I have 5 Surflows on different pieces of equipment and they will act up over time. They are a simple design and are easy to pop the head off and check all components. I have 2 on the bench that I rep[laced because I just couldn't get them to build pressure or prime themselves. These pumps are for pumping but work well for sucking on liquid so being able to self prime and keep it is a must.

BAP
02-11-2018, 03:56 PM
Sometimes the little check valves inside the pump will get something in it. Take the pump apart and wash it out good and see if it helps.

KReinisch
02-12-2018, 07:23 AM
I have all 3/16 going into a manifold. When I went to check on it yesterday it was pulling 20 inches. Maybe it had to work out some kinks.

Haynes Forest Products
02-12-2018, 08:49 AM
Is it a 12 Volt and do you have full power at the pump? Mine gets awful wimpy when the battery gets down.

Biz
02-12-2018, 09:27 AM
Make sure your power leads between battery and pump are heavy gauge and don't make them longer than necessary. I use 14 gauge wire and keep it 3-4 ft long at the most. I still see a volt or more combined round trip loss over the wiring, fuse, switch, relay, and connectors when pump is running which causes that much less voltage at the pump, which causes the pump to be unhappy.

Dave