PDA

View Full Version : How many years of use?

to100
02-10-2018, 11:00 PM
How many years use of tubing? Does one size last longer?
I know many variables. Cleaning, critters, also main lines,, drops every few years. Old school, new school.
Taking them down each year? Hi

Haynes Forest Products
02-11-2018, 01:46 AM
I have had tubing in the woods for 15 years when I took over the bush. My experience is cleaning doesn't prolong the life. Critters might damage it but doesn't speed up its aging process. Sunlight and temperature changes would be my guess. The loss of it elasticity is what causes me to change it out. Fitting start to leak and split at the barbs.

Bacteria doesn't cause it to fail but causes it to be less productive and that's why drops are changes out.

spud
02-11-2018, 05:48 AM
I'm going into my 7th season with my set-up. I plan to change all lateral lines after season 10. I also plan to add more mainline to my set-up and making sure there is no more then three taps to every short lateral line. I hope to increase my GPT by 3-5 gallons by doing this.

Spud

JoeJ
02-11-2018, 06:37 AM
I installed my most of my mainline (3/4") in 2003. I still have some of the original 3/4" mainline in the woods, but a lot of the 3/4" has been replaced with 1". What 3/4" main is left in the woods is still very usable. All of the mainline I have done since 2012 has been 1". I re-tubed the 5/16 at my sugar house woods in 2009 to get rid of all of the defective 30P. So I had all new laterals and drops in 2009 and I replaced the drops for the 2014 season. I plan on replacing all lateral and drops for the 2019 season. 10 years goes by real fast.

Joe

Haynes Forest Products
02-11-2018, 08:39 AM
To your question of how long will it last? When I ripped out the entire system of black poly 1/2" and 3/4" because it was undersized and in the wrong place. The poly was over 40 years and when cut into looked brand new. I took my ATV and hooked into it and tried to rip it from the woods and it didn't crack or stretch. I believe it could have gone another 40 years.

Most new poly has to be more durable so buy the best and plan for the long haul.