PDA

View Full Version : Sugar Shack Ceiling

TapTapTap
02-10-2018, 06:30 PM
I'm building a new sugar house with a metal roof on a 12/12 roof pitch. I'm thinking that drip will be somewhat mitigated by the steepness. Does anyone have a similar pitch metal roof? Any suggestions out there?
Thx
Ken

wnybassman
02-10-2018, 06:50 PM
Ours is a 12/12 with metal roof, but I put down plywood first.

johnallin
02-10-2018, 06:57 PM
Ours is timber framed with 3x6 hemlock rafters on 24" spacing. Used southern yellow pine 2x6's as sheeting then went with metal roof. We have no condensation at all, looks nice too..

lyford
02-10-2018, 07:25 PM
I have a 12/12 pitch with 1x10 pine sheathing under the metal, only done a test boil as the shack is new this year but no dripping thus far

mudr
02-10-2018, 07:37 PM
6/12 here. Metal, with the bubble wrap insulation below the panels, on top of purlins. I get a couple drops after 4 hours of boiling. That is with open pans (2x6) and one cupola door open (16 by 96 inches).

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Haynes Forest Products
02-10-2018, 07:41 PM
The warmer the room gets the warmer the interior walls and ceiling will get and that will determine how much condensate you will get. It will settle on wood and stick. Metal will shed it off like rain.

TapTapTap
02-10-2018, 08:55 PM
The warmer the room gets the warmer the interior walls and ceiling will get and that will determine how much condensate you will get. It will settle on wood and stick. Metal will shed it off like rain.

I don't believe that's entirely correct. The condensation is worst when the steam hits a cold roof and the uncovered metal surface will best transfer the outside chill. It is more about the temperature difference between the moist air and the lower surface of the roof.

My question is more specific to whether the condensate will roll down the steep pitch metal roof versus dripping. I already know covering the metal is better than not. And, I also know that a shallow pitch metal roof still drips.

Haynes Forest Products
02-10-2018, 09:04 PM
OH OK I stand corrected.

JoeJ
02-11-2018, 05:31 AM
When I built my sugar hose with a 9/12 pitch, I nailed 1"x4" purlins spaced 24" apart directly onto the 4x6 rafters. (Not knowing any better) During the first boil, the condensation dripped off the purlins every 24".
The next summer I installed 36" wide clear poly corrugated sheeting between all the rafters. It worked but was pretty expensive and time consuming compared to either plywood on the roof or using rough boards.

Joe

wnybassman
02-11-2018, 07:31 AM
It worked but was pretty expensive and time consuming compared to either plywood on the roof or using rough boards.

Joe

Granted, my shack is fairly small, but doing the plywood base was a $200 "upgrade" from just doing purlins. Looking back, I am glad I went the route I did.

maple flats
02-11-2018, 07:46 AM
My sugarhouse roof is only 6/12 with 1x8 spaced 8". Wish I had used plywood. It rained until I made a hood and vented the steam into the cupola but not thru the roof. Make or buy a hood or use plywood to make a solid surface. I never considered it back when I built my sugarhouse only to learn from really cold drips on my head and down the back of my neck later.

Sugarmaker
02-11-2018, 08:55 AM
My 2 cents: I bet 12/12 pitch is better than 6/12. But if you have a lot of steam in the room your going to have 'rain' some days off of something. Just the nature of the beast. Best but not cheapest cure may be hoods and direct steam venting through pipes. Not every one likes this look and some want the feel of a sugarhouse filled with steam and a billowing cupola. Having had both I like the lack of steam in the room (vented pipes on hoods). But to each his own. Have fun making syrup in your new sugarhouse! Pictures are alwasy welcome too. I had to debate this long and hard when I designed and built our 8/12 pitched roof almost 20 years ago. I used 1/2 inch plywood and shingles for roofing in the evaporator room. We get about 4 drops per year from a nail.
Regards,
Chrius

maple maniac65
02-11-2018, 05:38 PM
I can almost guarantee that your metal roof will drip right where you stand or sit. If you move the drip some how moves with you.

bigschuss
02-11-2018, 06:21 PM
My question is more specific to whether the condensate will roll down the steep pitch metal roof versus dripping. I already know covering the metal is better than not. And, I also know that a shallow pitch metal roof still drips.

I have a timber frame sugar house with a 12/12 pitch metal roof directly on the purlins and thus directly exposed to the interior....the condensation does not run down the metal. You're going to get rain.

Paul VT
02-11-2018, 08:30 PM
Our roof is 12/12. Building is only 10’x12’. And we run a 2x6 rig. Yes you will get wet. Yes much runs down the tin but much catches on the strapping and then drips off the roofing screws where they poke through the strapping. We joke about getting the umbrella type hats.

Twin Chimneys Syrup
02-16-2018, 07:46 PM
I have a 12/12 on my shed with straight metal roofing, no cupola. This is my shack during the season works great for me. The only issue I have with condensation drips is when it’s pretty cold and the doors are closed. I am only running an 18x2 evaporator so that could be helping me too. We plan on making this the permanent sugar house with a cupola I’ll probably keep the roof the way it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twin Chimneys Syrup
02-16-2018, 07:48 PM
Weird typing issues there, don’t know what that’s about. Correction 18”x2’ pan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zucker Lager
02-17-2018, 12:45 PM
I can almost guarantee that your metal roof will drip right where you stand or sit. If you move the drip some how moves with you.
Hey Maple Maniac do you think the laws of physics concerning campfire smoke applies to roof drips they sound the same??? jay

maple maniac65
02-17-2018, 04:57 PM
Hey Maple Maniac do you think the laws of physics concerning campfire smoke applies to roof drips they sound the same??? jay

That depends on who built the fire.

sugarwoodacres
02-27-2018, 07:55 AM
Mine is a 7/12 pitch. sheathed with plywood topped with ice shield awaiting metal this summer . $200 for wood and about $250 for ice barrier . NO DRIPS at all !!! I've seen people use tyvek on the ceiling and it makes the drips run to edge and into a gutter.