PDA

View Full Version : 3/16 tubing.... Can I have a 10+ foot drop line?

pprus
02-10-2018, 03:16 PM
So I ran a 3/16 tubing sap line today. This is my first time ever running a line. I have a couple trees that are up the hill and I just couldn't run the line to them and still have a down slope. I know a little uphill is ok but this would have been to much I think. So I'm wondering if I can just do a drop all the way from the tree to the sap line so instead of a 3ft drop I have a 10 or 15 foot drop to the sap line. I only have about 16 trees on the sap line right now. Would only add maybe 1 or 2 more this way. Thoughts?

psparr
02-10-2018, 04:51 PM
Absolutely.

peteinvermont
02-12-2018, 09:04 AM
I ran into a similar situation this weekend, and I decided NOT to tap the 2 trees that would require the long drop lines.

Does anyone know the length a drop can get before you run into the "Y" situation? If a drop is too long, do you run the risk of that tap, or the rest of your run, not getting vacuum?

maple flats
02-12-2018, 09:13 AM
Under those circumstances I'd have the long drop line too.

mol1jb
02-12-2018, 12:25 PM
I have done this several times on different runs of 3/16. The main run weaves back and forth between the main trees going down the hill and a few outskirt trees need to be picked up like this so its basically what you describes as a long drop off of the main 3/16 line. Works fine with just 1-2 taps per long drop. I have a couple sections that have 3-4 trees that I ran a branch of 3/16 to pick them up off of the main 3/16 and that doesn't work as well so I will be splitting that line next year to be more efficient.