PDA

View Full Version : Sap frozen - now yellow

warnimct
02-09-2018, 04:00 PM
I had a decent run on Sunday while at work that I couldn't collect before it froze that night. It was frozen solid every day until yesterday evening when I was able to get a little bit from each bag. It was all yellow. Collected more today and the bags still had ice in them, again it is yellow. Thought it would be fine since it was frozen solid, but should I toss all of it? If it tastes alright and isn't cloudy could it still be fine? Still have some ice in sap saks that I haven't gotten out, would that cause today's run to be bad?

Thanks for your help

psparr
02-09-2018, 04:26 PM
Rain will sometimes turn it yellow. Even if it’s not that, You should be fine.

buckeye gold
02-09-2018, 06:36 PM
Just my personal preference, but I never boil discolored sap.Cloudy yes, but discolored no

Russell Lampron
02-09-2018, 06:53 PM
If the sap is only slightly yellow it will still make some nice syrup. If it is a deep yellow toss it.

Sugarmaker
02-09-2018, 07:48 PM
Have had it be from yellow to orange. Usually due to some warm weather. I have dumped some and boiled some. It always made acceptable syrup maybe darker.
Regards,
Chris

Ed R
02-09-2018, 08:32 PM
We have had this happen several times when sap freezes solid or almost solid in the buckets. Its just sugar saturated sap. Don't throw it out or you will lose all your sugar. It will make nice syrup. Try to let your ice cubes thaw some more and more sugar will come out of the solid.

warnimct
02-09-2018, 09:16 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies. I started boiling it and will finish it tomorrow. If it tastes alright I will keep it. If not it only cost some firewood and a bit of time, but learning at the same time.

Daveg
02-11-2018, 02:27 PM
In a container, sugar concentrated sap will thaw first, and be slightly darker than the remaining sap, which, on the other hand, will be very weak. Taste it or test it with a sap hydrometer. The thawing of the sugar molecules first can double or triple the concentration of the sap. If it's sweet, boil it. Ice preserved sap is good for quite a while, but at 6 days, you're stretching it.
Ice in your sap sacks won't cause future runs to go bad unless IT was previously starting to go bad. It's all about bacteria counts. A little bit is present right out of the tap and then increases with time and temperature. Treat your sap with the same preservation goals as milk. Keep it just above freezing with as few episodes of 35°F+ as possible.

Haynes Forest Products
02-11-2018, 04:35 PM
Remember the yellow color is not normal. If you were to take pure clean sap right from the tree and freeze dry it you would have white tasteless sugar. Yellowing from rain is usually from dirt washing from the bark into the sap bucket.

Ed R
02-11-2018, 05:53 PM
Warnimct, how did your syrup turn out?