PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather

Al
03-15-2004, 06:02 AM
Cold weather hitting here in Vermont for about a week or so they say. Do I drain my pans,put a little heater in the arch or what? Whats the best way to do this?
Thanks

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-15-2004, 07:42 AM
Al,

I would put a heater in the arch at nights when it is extremely cold. Like I told you before, if you have an old trouble light, a heat lamp bulb works good in it.

farmerEd
03-15-2004, 09:11 AM
Why would you put a heater in the arch? Concerned about ice? Wouldn't it just expand up anyway?

mapleman3
03-15-2004, 09:23 AM
Al, don't think you would have as much a problem as a drop flue, there's alot more areas for ice to expand to.. plus it won't freeze solid with sugar in it.. it got down to 17 the other night mine was fine.

Al
03-15-2004, 09:37 AM
The reason I brought this up was last week I had ice form on the top of both pans. Around a 1/4 inch thick in front with less in the rear pan. It proberly not that much to worry about but don't want to ruin a pan if there's any chance of it happening! It's supposed to be around 0-10 degrees this week at night. I like to side on the safer side of an issue then not.
Take care and thanks for all inputs.

Brian
03-15-2004, 10:50 AM
Flat pans should be o.k to around 0 deg with the sugar concentrate,but the flue pan can't take it because the sugar concentrate is not enough. It will split the seams and worp the flues. I can't put in a heater in my arch without pulling off A pan.

Al
03-15-2004, 11:23 AM
Hi Brain, I was wondering about that. Glad to get your input. Think I'll run down to Ace and pick up a heat lamp bulb/small heater. Just in case.
Thanks

powerdub
03-16-2004, 04:03 PM
I have never done anything and had no problems. I just thaw them out really slow with a small fire before I get them cranking again.

Brian
03-16-2004, 06:34 PM
I have had sap bucketts split and fitting split do to freezing and was told the same thing could happen to the flue pan. I am not that brave I would rather drain the flue pan.

Salmoneye
03-17-2004, 06:16 AM
Uh...

I think y'all are worrying about things that there is no need to worry about...

Never have I heard of anyone that has had a damagaed pan in a cold spell...

Course that is only 41 years...

Call Leader if you are really worried...Get their input...Pretty sure they will tell you to stop stressing too :D

All is well...And this cold is just going to jump those trees right up...

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-17-2004, 04:27 PM
Maybe so, but in the single digits without any heat in my sugarhouse would keep me from sleeping at night.

There is a first time for everything and I wouldn't want to be the first. :?

Brian
03-17-2004, 06:26 PM
Well maybe it's colder where I live, don't know.....Glen told me to drain them for that reason and a matter of fact I was down there today and he was talking to different people who had vacuum boosters busting because of the bad freeze ups. He asked me by chance if I had drained my flu pan and I told I had and he said good, so guess I'd rather be safe than sorry, jmo.

FMWARREN
03-17-2004, 08:16 PM
I use a 200 watt flood aimed under the flue pan keeps the flues free of ice. FM

Salmoneye
03-18-2004, 07:17 AM
Hey Brian...

2nd time recently that I have seen you say something to the effect that 'Glen Said So'...Who exactly is 'Glen'?

Been down to the teens here over the last two nights...Just went out and found what I expected to see...The syrup pan compartments all have maybe a quarter inch of soft ice on them and the back pan I was able to poke through the 1/2 inch on top with my finger...

Even took the Q-Beam to the flues...No sign whatsoever of bulging...

Brian
03-18-2004, 08:36 PM
Salmoneye, I am glad for you.Glen Goodrich he is who Glen is, he has 17000 tapes this year and the inventor of the steam away and sold the rights to leader. He travels all over New England installing tubbing and main line for people. He even builds sugar houses in some cases.

Salmoneye
03-19-2004, 05:11 AM
Ah...

THAT Glen :lol: