PDA

View Full Version : Firewood Bellhop carts?

BSD
02-07-2018, 04:05 PM
Does anyone use a bellhop type cart for firewood? i despise moving firewood around. I currently put it on full pallets for what we burn in the house, but i think that'll be too big and cumbersome in the shack. I was thinking Basically a framework of 2x2x1/8" angle iron in a 54x54x12" cube and 4" casters underneath. I could then roll them around the sugar house right next to the evaporator for quick loading, and then get it out of the way when it's time to draw off. I can store 2 rows of 4 of them down the length of the building under a small 4' overhang. then roll them right out towards the front and then pick them up with the tractor forks and get them right into the building. When i get wood in, it comes in a dump trailer so i could load them right from the trailer and roll them down the side of the building.

my cost would be $80 of steel/casters each to make them.

Haynes Forest Products
02-07-2018, 04:45 PM
The nice thing about that idea is the wood would dry quicker with open air on both sides. keep a tarp over each one until needed. I'm thinking a quick trip to the nearest Trump tower Hotel and you would be looking mighty fancy in the sugar shack. That big gold plated T on the top of each one.

Run Forest Run!
02-07-2018, 05:11 PM
In our woodshop we use the restaurant-style shelving racks. They have castors on the bottom and keep the wood dry, off the floor and easy to roll around. Fully loaded they they'll hold about 600 lbs per shelf, or a total of 500 lbs when using the castors. We've purchased all of ours through Costco, but they are readily available at lots of others stores. Shelving units come with varying numbers of shelves, usually three, and depending on whether we are storing firewood or more fancy trim woods, we adjust the number of shelves to suit our purposes. They work really well and look fabulous in the shop.

This is the type of unit that I a referring to:
https://www.costco.com/Alera-4-Shelf-Wire-Shelving-Rack%2c-48%e2%80%9d-x-18%e2%80%9d-72%e2%80%9d%2c--NSF%2c-Black-Anthracite-.product.11675553.html

Bricklayer
02-07-2018, 05:15 PM
I made similar ones to that for a friend, made them out of 2x4's.plywood base extra 2x4 on its side for the castors to attach too. They work great. 1 made them 18" wide x4' high by 4' long. I want to say I used a 2x6 on the bottom but I don't remember. Don't have any pictures. It was before my smartphone days.

WESTMAPLES
02-07-2018, 05:54 PM
i would go find a source for old grocery store U boat carts they use for stocking shelves, a friend of mine has a few i his garage he uses for his firewood. they hold a good load and easy to move when loaded

BSD
02-07-2018, 08:26 PM
I did a little redesign to lighten up the steel at the same time as adding strength and work out better for buying stick length metal.

1.5x1.5x1/8" tube for the bottom and 1x1x1/8" tube for the uprights. I decided to lose the top horizontal rails, as they won't do much anyways. with this design change (didn't add the casters into the drawing but planning on the same ones) i can get the price down to $60/ea.

Big_Eddy
02-08-2018, 10:20 PM
I did a little redesign to lighten up the steel at the same time as adding strength and work out better for buying stick length metal.

1.5x1.5x1/8" tube for the bottom and 1x1x1/8" tube for the uprights. I decided to lose the top horizontal rails, as they won't do much anyways. with this design change (didn't add the casters into the drawing but planning on the same ones) i can get the price down to $60/ea.

Firewood carts
Prices varyhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180209/b2a42fdef159e5f3172b360a14e20c74.jpg

mellondome
02-09-2018, 12:06 AM
https://syracuse.craigslist.org/bfs/d/stock-carts-racks-55-gallon/6440513385.html

Sugarmaker
02-09-2018, 11:17 AM
We use two small steel wagons (4 wheel) From Tractor supply I think. (about 2 feet wide by 4 feet long.) With some simple vertical end boards it makes about the right size to pull up to the evaporator. One being filled while one is being unloaded into the evaporator.
Regards,
Chris

johnallin
02-09-2018, 04:50 PM
I built a cart a few years back out of wood. It has wood uprights at each end capped with an oak cross piece for a handle. I used swivel casters that I just replaced last week with casters I bought from Caster Connection in Columbus OH. They are an industrial caster supplier and have a clearance area. I paid about $9 ea for heavy duty 3" wheels rated at 200# ea. The cart is one of the best things we have going on. Roll it over to the door, load it and roll it back to the evaporator. It really cut down on the dust dirt that ended up on the floor from stacking wood. Simple build out of wood you probably have laying around - and it's light. Pic attached. I can send better when I get back to the house.

johnallin
02-12-2018, 09:13 AM
Here are two pics I took of our wood cart. 4x4's carry all the load, the wood slatting on the bottom keeps 90% of the dirt and wood chips off the shack floor. 4 way swivels make it super easy to move around.

BSD
02-12-2018, 05:12 PM
that's pretty much exactly what i have in mind, just made out of metal.

Thanks for the pictures.

sugarsand
02-14-2018, 06:21 AM
We have a bellhop cart that weve been using for the last three years. All stainless, about 5' long and 6' high, my son picked this up at a local hospital, works great. Probably more a food service cart but on the same idea.