PDA

View Full Version : Cam locks on filter press?

johnallin
02-06-2018, 07:44 PM
Anyone use cam lock fittings on the High Pressure hose from the Pump to the Filter Press?

I have a Leader Clear Plate Plate Press that has a brass pull type fitting, like on an air line, on that hose (probably just what it is....)

It's a royal pain to keep it working as it gets "sugared up" and sticks like crazy after a few uses.
I don't know if a cam lock is rated for the same pressure as what's on there now, but it sure would be easier, better, faster - and stainless to boot.

I really don't want to test it just to have syrup flying all over the place. Press to bottler hose uses a cam lock but there's no pressure on that fitting...

Haynes Forest Products
02-06-2018, 07:57 PM
That's all I use and believe me when I say it ain't the fitting that will be the problem. I have had the reinforced hose make a rainbow in my shack. They are the best solution for the constant changes from custom equipment changes.

S.S.S
02-06-2018, 08:17 PM
That's what we use are stainless cam-lock fittings. Works great

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
02-06-2018, 08:19 PM
stainless cam locks for me

Super Sapper
02-07-2018, 05:28 AM
On a pressured line I would use zip ties to keep the "ears" down to avoid them opening by accident.

CharlieVT
02-07-2018, 05:58 AM
On a pressured line I would use zip ties to keep the "ears" down to avoid them opening by accident.

Some camlocks come with security pins to lock them.
But I've never had a problem with them popping open accidently so I'm not using the security pins on the camlocks I remove frequently for cleaning.

Brewer's supplies have lots of options. I don't recall where I got mine, but here's an example of a supplier: https://www.brewershardware.com/cam_and_groove_fittings/

HTH

johnallin
02-07-2018, 06:49 AM
That's all I use and believe me when I say it ain't the fitting that will be the problem. I have had the reinforced hose make a rainbow in my shack. They are the best solution for the constant changes from custom equipment changes.

Awesome That's what I was hoping to hear. I 've been using ss cam locks on just about everything that requires a connection - this was the hold-out. I buy from ProFlo Dynamics. All are stainless with locking pins to secure...I think this is one case where I'll use the locking pins. Thanks for the replies.

maple flats
02-07-2018, 07:07 AM
My Lapierre filter press came with a single lever cam lock on the HP hose to connect it to the filter, I never had a problem with it.
This year I have changed the inlet and outlet fittings to Tri-Clover clamp/gasket type on my pneumatic diaphragm pump on the filter press. I'm hoping those will handle the pressure when hot. I did that to make it fast and easy to rinse the pump with hot water without running the water thru the whole system. I will now only do it thru everything when it will be a few days before I'll be using the filter again. That original single lever cam lock is still on the plate end of the HP hose, and it's about 11-12 years old. I should likely order a replacement for having if that original hose fails.

johnallin
02-07-2018, 12:15 PM
I have Tri Clover fittings on the Revolution pan set and pre-heater from Leader. Never thought to use them for the filter press, that's a good idea.

PerryFamily
02-07-2018, 12:26 PM
I use camlocks in all the hoses. its nice at the end of the night boiling to take them off and wife everything down. mine are plastic from bascoms. I use milk hose on my press on all likes too