PDA

View Full Version : Big releaser/ small tap count?

butler
02-05-2018, 05:32 PM
Can a big releaser... rated for 5-7000 taps be used on a 350-500 tap bush with a gast 2567?

Haynes Forest Products
02-05-2018, 06:29 PM
Yes you can but you might have a slow recover time. That is the time it takes for the vacuum loss in the line to refill the manifold and empty chamber. You can install a vacuum tank as close to the releaser as possible for faster recovery. Make it bigger than the SAP chamber and manifold for best results.

Russell Lampron
02-05-2018, 07:35 PM
I'm using a Lapierre horizontal mechanical releaser that is rated for up to 8000 taps and I've only got 700 taps on it. It's slow to recover after it dumps, maybe up to a minute. It holds 25 gallons of sap so it takes some time to fill back up and dump again. Maybe the recovery time averages out compared to using a smaller releaser that would dump more often. I keep my woods tight and don't lose much if any vacuum during the recovery. My pump is a Surge SP 22 which is 1500' away from the releaser.

butler
02-06-2018, 01:27 AM
Ok, thanks guys.

nymapleguy607
02-06-2018, 07:02 AM
Like Russ and Haynes said, the larger releaser will be a little slower to recover vs a smaller one, but that could be mitigated by running a vacuum tank or a few lengths of 6" PVC before the releaser. I have a Lapierre horizontal rated for 1200 taps on about 500 taps. My thought is the less the releaser needs to trip and the faster the sap can be emptied means less surging in the woods and less of a chance for a releaser hang up.

Russell Lampron
02-06-2018, 05:58 PM
My thought is the less the releaser needs to trip and the faster the sap can be emptied means less surging in the woods and less of a chance for a releaser hang up.

Exactly! My thought too.

maple flats
02-06-2018, 07:38 PM
Which motor does it have. At 60 cycle 1.5 HP it should be a 21 CFM pump at 15", less as it gets higher, but even a 15 CFM on a double releaser should be OK, as suggested, a large vacuum chamber near the releaser will help.

VT_K9
02-09-2018, 11:40 PM
We have a 30 CFM unit running a 750 tap releaser and will add a second releaser next year. We already run a 10' section of 4" pvc at the pump. We will be installing a moisture trap and probably another length of 4" or so PVC at the current releaser. Then will do the same at the new releaser. The theory of storage of CFM should minimize the recovery time during a dump. I think is also used in other air tool type systems (paint or assembly areas). It keeps the CFM as consistent as possible during an increased call for air. I have looked at going to a larger releaser on the new section in the event we do expand in the future. Definitely an opportunity for more than 750 taps there, but the jump to the next size is 3,000 taps. Good to see the above information.

Mike