PDA

View Full Version : February Journal

mainebackswoodssyrup
02-03-2018, 07:15 PM
11 below when we left the shack this morning. Didn't feel it though, had colder days back in January. That February sun does wonders when its out and not windy. Another great day in the woods. Made good progress on lines and drops. 4 more mainlines to go. Tapping has begun behind us. Should be waiting for mother nature by the 3rd week of February.

Russell Lampron
02-03-2018, 08:04 PM
I got everything in the woods ready to tap last weekend. Also last weekend I finished wiring the blower on my new W F Mason arch and did a test boil. All I can say about that is WOW! I've never seen my flue pan boil as good as it did.

I had a freeze up on my RO back in January. Today I replaced the broken pre-filter housing and ran the RO. The pumps all ran and built pressure with no leaks. I'll have to wait for sap to see if the membrane passes sugar or not. I do have a new membrane to install if it does pass sugar.

I have a couple of little things to finish in the sugar house and am planning to tap next weekend.

Maple Man 85
02-05-2018, 09:39 PM
Got the pulley system in place to raise and lower steam hoods. Pump is going in this week and the loggers are making great progress on our other 40.1742617427174281742917430

maple flats
02-06-2018, 07:21 AM
Very impressive expansion.