PDA

View Full Version : How many taps per day?

Mille705
02-03-2018, 03:09 PM
So I am a small time guy that taped 350 last year. It took me and my dad about 3 days to get it done. We tap some road trees, trees in the neighbors yard and then the rest in the woods. We use an electric drill and generator on a trailer. We use several different types of systems from sap sacks to old school buckets and then some 3-4 taps with tubing into 5 gal buckets.

How many taps can you do in a day? How many can these big commercials guys do? Just curious. Thanks.

blissville maples
02-03-2018, 03:54 PM
This year, with all my rodent and storm damage completely done prior to tapping on my flatter more terrain friendly sugarbush I was tapping about 100-120 taps per hr. I sank 1500 spouts in 2- 6hrdays. Ice was horrible when I tapped, my steeper bush it took me about 13 hrs to do 900 taps- what a miserable couple of days- wrist still hurts from slamming into trees so to prevent tumbling headfirst!

collinsmapleman2012
02-03-2018, 04:03 PM
I usually aim for 100 to 120 per hour, but it depends on snow, if i have to tighten/fix a lot, etc but that's the goal. part of the key is to have a good system of doing it and getting into a good rhythm. buckets are a bit slower, probably 50 per hour, but i put all the buckets out, then tap, and hang buckets/ covers on the last trip through. helps to lighten the load too.

Walling's Maple Syrup
02-03-2018, 05:08 PM
We have 8500 taps this year. My wife puts the spouts on in front of me and I tap. We do 400 on average in an eight hour day with everything fixed. It takes us the better part of a month to tap. It's not about quantity it's about quality. Every tap I put in the tree, I expect at least a half gallon of syrup per tap on an average year. That means a fair amount of time needs to be spent at each tree paying attention to hitting all white wood, tapping depth and angle, and the hole being free of shavings. We also do not tap unless the temps are below freezing. I prefer 20 degrees or colder.
Neil

Greenwich Maple Man
02-03-2018, 05:15 PM
Dead on . Agree 100 percent

markcasper
02-03-2018, 05:24 PM
I will upset some on here........oh well! I average about 30-40 per hour with everything fixed and I feel that I am pushing it! I cannot imagine the quality of tapping job done when it gets to be more than this. Maybe I'm too fat or inefficient to move fast enough?

markcasper
02-03-2018, 05:27 PM
We also do not tap unless the temps are below freezing. I prefer 20 degrees or colder.
Neil

What do you feel is the advantage?

Russell Lampron
02-03-2018, 05:29 PM
It depends on how deep the snow is. This year I should be able to get all 700 done in 2 days.

Walling's Maple Syrup
02-03-2018, 05:44 PM
What do you feel is the advantage?
Less bacteria. A more sterile taphole. A cleaner taphole. We used to tap all the time when sap was running. I noticed a big difference at end of season on holes I drilled when it was below freezing and holes I drilled when it was above freezing(I keep detailed notes on what taps I drill on what date and also temp when tapping)

Walling's Maple Syrup
02-03-2018, 05:47 PM
I will upset some on here........oh well! I average about 30-40 per hour with everything fixed and I feel that I am pushing it! I cannot imagine the quality of tapping job done when it gets to be more than this. Maybe I'm too fat or inefficient to move fast enough?
I'd say that is a good average when tapping alone.

BAP
02-03-2018, 05:51 PM
Holes drill easier and cleaner when frozen.

blissville maples
02-03-2018, 07:14 PM
Also need to take onto consideration how close the trees are and if they are one two or three tappers. A two or three tap tree will average 10-20 seconds per tap versus 3 separate trees taking a minute apiece including the walk time.....I don't suffer any vac leaks from loose taps even on the reds so I guess can't be too bad off...also the 8-12 inch trees I only drill in about an inch versus 2 on a large tree which I do have maybe 20 percent of..... everything figures in

Sugarmaker
02-03-2018, 07:27 PM
We are small and complete the tapping in two days. I did 200 in about 4 hours by myself, and the next day I had a good helper following and setting the taps after I drilled and we did the remaining 400 in about 4 hours. So two guys about 100 per hour. We have to move a lot between the 32 small shortrun sugarbush systems.
I remember Glenn and Ruth Goodrich telling us at LEME about racing each other and setting approx 1600 to 1700 each in a day by themselves.
Regards,
Chris
Regards,
Chris

Haynes Forest Products
02-03-2018, 07:53 PM
I tap around 1700 and if all is ready and no major problems we can get it all done in 2 days. I do the drilling and I insert the tap in the direction I want it for the drop line. Then my helpers will come behind and set the tap cut the old one off and install the drop line. We tag chews and broken fittings.

With vacuum I want to get everything tapped and running into tanks so I can purge the lines and dump the sap. Once I get a good read on what my woods need I then walk them with repair parts. I want all the lines clearing out of the snots and then switch over to clean sap.

Now it tales a week to get to the point that I can tap. Getting tanks cleaned set up and mainline connected to my sap ladder frames and pump connected and running. Then the fun starts finding all the leaks and leveling lines.

I also like the cold weather because it means I'm not missing the sap runs. If I can get everything set up in the woods before the weather changes then I'm not such a raving lunatic. Then its time the add another mainline or two.

blissville maples
02-03-2018, 08:34 PM
" raving lunatic" lol, oh how I can relate, as I've been starting tapping of 2200 taps during a 5 day warm spell when should be done tapping and tracking leaks down!...how nice it is to be "prepared"

maple maniac65
02-04-2018, 05:41 AM
What is the maple definition of a raving lunatic?

Super Sapper
02-04-2018, 06:13 AM
What is the maple definition of a raving lunatic?

Wouldn't that be called normal?

blissville maples
02-04-2018, 06:51 AM
When your in the sugarbush and realize your two weeks behind as your drilling holes and the sawdust is sopping wet and the tapholes fill before you take bit out, then you start running around the woods like a whirlwind trying to make up ground but end up going slower, cursing whatever kept you out of the woods for the previous weeks, ignoring anyone who tries talking to you when your getting your morning coffee at store so you can leave asap run to your truck as fast as you can cause you have maple fever, speed to sugarbush, jump out fall down a couple times then realize you forgot your tapping bit at home.......that's one version, other dictionaries have different wording!

spud
02-04-2018, 07:42 AM
This year I was hoping for 500 taps a day. I found that by the time I hit 400 my low back has had enough. A few days I only did 300. No matter how many I do in a day I usually get 100 tapped per hour on average. My woods has 90 taps per acre on average so it is faster to get tapped. I also have all lines free of branches weeks in advance so I make very few repairs while tapping. I strive for white wood and I am very picky when it comes to tapping. I expect 27 inches of vacuum all season and 20+ GPT. I shoot for 25 GPT but thats up to Mother Nature not me. Everyone needs to work at their own pace. A quality tap hole is the most important aspect to sugaring. The money is made in the woods.

Spud

MISugarDaddy
02-04-2018, 09:56 AM
We take two days to install 600 taps. We do it like Walling's, my wife installs the spiles and I am right behind her tapping the trees. We don't try to kill ourselves doing it because that would make it seem more like work. The one thing I have found that gets the tempo up is to offer to take my wife out to lunch at our favorite restaurant.
Gary

Haynes Forest Products
02-04-2018, 10:12 AM
I know a guy that was proud of himself on how many trees he could tap. Yea running thru the woods punching holes then moving on to the next tree. Then were expected to come behind and find the **** hole. Yea I know just look for the chips on the snow or the dripping hole. If the average time it takes to walk to a tree, drill hole insert ta, cut off old one, seat tap attach drop is less than 30 seconds I get really impatient looking for a tap hole.

maple flats
02-04-2018, 10:59 AM
If I have all repairs done ahead and have the new tap or new drop with new tap already done I get between 30-45/hr on fairly flat or gently sloping ground, then I have some that if I get 15 an hour I feel lucky. Those numbers are if I can work without snowshoes, if snowshoes are needed, it gets slower. Then again, 15 years ago I did more per hour too, age has slowed me.
My main concern is not the number/hr but making sure every one is done right. When I used to have helpers, I checked often to be sure they were taking time to analyze where to drill. If they had not taken time to go all of the way around the tree, their choice of where to drill was highly in question.

unc23win
02-04-2018, 12:29 PM
I like to go threw the woods and change spouts and make some repairs that I see and remove limbs ahead of tapping. I tapped about 100 per hour but my woods averages close to 100 taps per acre which helps. We installed some new mainlines this summer and one of the ideas was to make them one sided (or as close as possible) so that the space in the middle provides access a bonus I noticed when tapping was you can go from tree to tree up the outside of the laterals pretty easy and not have to cross the mainline.

eagle lake sugar
02-04-2018, 05:13 PM
We typically tap on 3' of snow, on snowshoes on steep ground. My woods averages 50-60 trees per acre, I'm exhausted after 300 a day. Last season we had a heavy snowstorm that took down limbs everywhere and most of my lines were at the bottom of the snowpack at tapping time, it took twice as long.

BAP
02-04-2018, 06:35 PM
Number of taps per day means nothing, unless a good, thorough job is done. Slamming taps in, racing to get done, doing a poor job because you are in a rush will cost you more money in the long run, than if you miss part of the first run doing a proper tapping job.

Walling's Maple Syrup
02-04-2018, 06:43 PM
Number of taps per day means nothing, unless a good, thorough job is done. Slamming taps in, racing to get done, doing a poor job because you are in a rush will cost you more money in the long run, than if you miss part of the first run doing a proper tapping job.
Truth! This is why we start tapping in Dec. You are way farther ahead to start early and do it right, rather than rush through it. The money is made in the woods. It's all about tapping right and maintaining those taps throughout the season.
Neil

WestfordSugarworks
02-05-2018, 06:31 AM
I think I average around 70 an hour, including stopping to remove any droplines that need to be taken off the lateral if the tree is dead or has bad wood. I push myself to go as fast as I can while still maintaining quality work. I tap slow in our woods that have been tapped for 30 years, really have to look hard for a good spot to drill. I always hope to average 500 a day and if i'm working with someone it's nice when we can do 1,000 in a day. I find that having to stop to remove a drop and put in a connector really slows down your rhythm, but nothing you can do about that. We've been blessed the last three seasons with very little snow on average, makes tapping way faster

Tweegs
02-05-2018, 09:30 AM
I’m very near 60 and it takes me a full day to get my 300 (vac) taps in. The buckets have a lower priority.
There’s only been 1 year I had to tap on snowshoes (don’t know how you guys do it), usually there’s less than 6” on the ground.
My land is also pretty flat.

For me, it’s all about the pre-season prep.
In early Jan I start fixing the most obvious damage.
During the January thaw I’ll run water through the lines. This clears most of the tube snot plus it helps identify smaller leaks which I flag for repair at a later time.
I can also identify/eliminate any sags in the mains.

Come early Feb I repair anything flagged, replace the spiles and make sure all of the laterals are graded.
I try to get the taps in a couple of days ahead of the first suspected run to make sure I’ve got good vac throughout the woods (meaning no major leaks).

In this way I can start the season with relatively snot free tubing and something close to 25” of vac.
It usually takes about a half day once the runs start to get the rest of the leaks found/fixed and to my normal 27”.

ennismaple
02-05-2018, 02:15 PM
I can do around 600 per day if tapping alone, 800-1000 per day with a hammer man working behind me. If we have a lot of lines down under the snow or a lot of droplines that have been chewed and need to be replaced it really slows things down. Deep fluffy snow can cut that rate in half!

blissville maples
02-05-2018, 07:53 PM

I realize age and sugarbush layout has alot to do with it. However what constitutes a poor tap job and how does this happen? Ive drilled over 15,000 holes and I think one time I slipped as I started to push and oblonged a hole and actually broke a bit as I tried to hold the drill(best thing is to let go and take the fall).....I think after 15,000 holes drilled one should have the knack by then. You go to the tree look it over briefly set the drill bit against it squarely and drill for a few seconds. Unless one has EXTREMELY poor judgement of what level and square is I can't even comprehend how you do a poor tap job. I check lines for leaks daily, I run 26-28 inches, and I can say personally at 100-120 taps per hour I do a flawless job, which entails 1.solid fresh wood 2 . Leak free hole......I guess I'm interested in what a poor tap job is??? I had help one time and I noticed the helper was tapping 3-4" directly above last year's- this is why I do everything myself now.

spud
02-06-2018, 06:51 AM
As I walk up to a tree I am already looking for a good spot to tap. There are times I have to circle the tree to find a spot but not always. For me If I tap to the depth I want and get all white wood i'm golden. My next thing is to make sure I set the spout right. After that I make sure the tubing is pushed on well past the ring. If I'm running 27 inches in my woods and getting 25 GPT on a good year I think I doing real good.

Spud

markcasper
02-06-2018, 06:56 AM
I cannot imagine someone doing 120 taps per hour and doing a A1 job! There have been posters now in this thread that say 30-45 per hour, on up to 120 per hour. Which one is it? It stands to reason that less taps per hour would equal a better quality job. One thing that has not been mentioned is how heavy the trees are being tapped. If your putting 3 taps in 10" trees (and I don't have to go very far to witness this), or 6 taps in 25" trees, then I would suspect your tap count efficiency per hour would be 3 times more productive than mine.

As for poor quality tap jobs, I guess it all tells itself at the end of the season.

markcasper
02-06-2018, 07:00 AM

You deserve an award for this statement! It should be painted above everyones sugarhouse door.

blissville maples
02-06-2018, 09:05 AM
You deserve an award for this statement! It should be painted above everyones sugarhouse door.

I dunno about that

Age and health has alot to do with it.....I feel some can't imagine how one could tap so quick but I'm here to tell you that me and others are launching 100-120 per hr- with quality.

Do some think a 30 y/o should have same output as a 60 y/o. I literally run from tree to tree- no joke

I know a guy who puts2 taps in every tree over 12" and 3 over 16, his trees look like Swiss cheese!!! I am conservative only trees over 2 taps for me are 24+". I don't over tap just to brag!! Does me no good.

I'm 35 and am comparable to a 2 stroker, if I didn't have to sleep I'd work 24 hrs a day. I've always been self employed since 22 and KNOW how to make money and make "it happen" it's a simple fact that I am able to do more than your average because of my hard work ethics and bull like attitude. Also when working for yourself you can make 200 a day or 2000 a day---- what u put in directly relates to what u get out. I could tap 30 taps an HR but why slow down just to go slow. I wanna make money I don't want to hire 5 tappers to do 3300 taps because I want an easy peesy day, no I want that money I be paying them. I don't mind sweating or bleeding that's a fact.......

As I said I run 25+ inches everywhere and as Spud said the end of the season numbers tell all, I don't have spouts leaking or falling out of tree. I'm.not tapping rotten wood. I average 22+ gals sap per tap on all sugars and close to 20 with a 50/50 mix of reds.....I would have to say my tapping methods work pretty well I think

GeneralStark
02-06-2018, 09:34 AM
I'm sure there are many factors that affect tapping rates. There are areas of my land where I am doing well if I can get 10 taps done in an hour, but I have very steep ledgey and difficult to access areas, and if there is much snow and I need snowshoes it can be slow going. I also like to take some time and look for old tap holes and other defects and be sure I am hitting good wood.

That said there are areas of my land that are flat with many trees spaced close together and there my tapping rate is higher. But I still like to take my time and do a good job. I also like to take in the view and maybe check out some wildlife tracks along the way. I may also need to stop and warm up my hands periodically or have a drink.

If you like to tap fast and can still do a job that is to a standard that is acceptable for you, then great. But if you need to judge your character and others' by how many taps you get done in an hour....perhaps you have bigger problems to consider....

BAP
02-06-2018, 03:15 PM
Thank You Mark. A lot of people don't get this concept, especially at first, but after tapping trees for 40+ years I can tell you it makes a huge difference. The older the tree and more years it has been tapped, taking time makes a big difference. As Spud said, start looking at the tree as you approach it. I actually like to look up at the top as I am approaching the tree, before looking at the trunk. If the tree has dead or broken limbs in the top, then the area of the trunk under it is likely to be not as good. Also, as the tree ages and with the advent of smaller taps, it is much harder to see old tap holes, so paying close attention is a must.

"If you like to tap fast and can still do a job that is to a standard that is acceptable for you, then great. But if you need to judge your character and others' by how many taps you get done in an hour....perhaps you have bigger problems to consider...."
Well said General Stark.

PerryFamily
02-06-2018, 05:12 PM
Thank You Mark. A lot of people don't get this concept, especially at first, but after tapping trees for 40+ years I can tell you it makes a huge difference. The older the tree and more years it has been tapped, taking time makes a big difference. As Spud said, start looking at the tree as you approach it. I actually like to look up at the top as I am approaching the tree, before looking at the trunk. If the tree has dead or broken limbs in the top, then the area of the trunk under it is likely to be not as good. Also, as the tree ages and with the advent of smaller taps, it is much harder to see old tap holes, so paying close attention is a must.

"If you like to tap fast and can still do a job that is to a standard that is acceptable for you, then great. But if you need to judge your character and others' by how many taps you get done in an hour....perhaps you have bigger problems to consider...."
Well said General Stark.

I wish there was a "like" button on here. Well said BAP and general.

Walling's Maple Syrup
02-06-2018, 05:18 PM
This is a site where people can go and ask a question and get answers. There will be multiple answers for one question. Is only one answer right? Most of the time, no. That being said, certain individuals on here voice their opinion and when someone else has a different one, an argument breaks out. I recently took a break from maple trader for an extended amount of time for this exact reason. I feel it degrades the value of the site to a certain extent. I come on here for info(you can learn something from everyone) and to help people with questions I may have learned the hard way. I also come on here because I love maple. Not a day goes by, even in the off season, that I don't do or think maple. What is a turnoff is to get on here and have someone voice their opinion and argue that their way is the only way.

I average between 40-50 taps an hour in. I have 8500 taps. I hire no-one. I pay attention to every little detail.This last season my overall sap per tap average was 43.1(this includes my 3/16 gravity) with my 2000 tap woods giving 50.2 gallons of sap per tap. Just under 30/tap is the worst year ive ever had(that was in 2012) since starting to keep records in the late 90's when we first started using a vacuum pump. That being said, do I feel i can still learn more or do better? Absolutely! I feel that is the number one reason for my high yields. I always keep an open mind and am willing to learn from anyone. I do not hesitate to change something if it works better or is better. When someone tells you that "their way is the only way" it, for me is a turnoff when a good thread like this is started.
Neil

spud
02-06-2018, 05:28 PM
So I am a small time guy that taped 350 last year. It took me and my dad about 3 days to get it done. We tap some road trees, trees in the neighbors yard and then the rest in the woods. We use an electric drill and generator on a trailer. We use several different types of systems from sap sacks to old school buckets and then some 3-4 taps with tubing into 5 gal buckets.

How many taps can you do in a day? How many can these big commercials guys do? Just curious. Thanks.

So Mille705 to sum things up here is the answer. The BIG COMMERCIAL GUY'S tap somewhere between 1-120 per hour. I suspect that trees per acre, age of tree, Taps per tree, slope of land, amount of repairs and the physical condition of the person running the drill all have something to do with the taps per hour. I am convinced that a person tapping 120 per hour can do the same quality job as the person doing just one tap. Some people are just geared different. It's not an ego thing it's just reality.

Spud

Mille705
02-06-2018, 07:51 PM
I appreciate all the replies. I understand that there are a lot of variables and didn't want to start an agreement. The topic came up with my dad and I reading an ad for a syrup operation that was for sale that had 20,000 taps. Both my dad and I were having a hard time imagining how long it would take to tap. When we are taping in our flat woods with minimal snow the 2 of us can tap about 40 an hour. I do all the drilling and dad sets the spile and buckets. When we get to yard and road trees things slow down a lot.

Again thanks for the replies it is appreciated.

WestfordSugarworks
02-07-2018, 08:33 AM
This is a site where people can go and ask a question and get answers. There will be multiple answers for one question. Is only one answer right? Most of the time, no. That being said, certain individuals on here voice their opinion and when someone else has a different one, an argument breaks out. I recently took a break from maple trader for an extended amount of time for this exact reason. I feel it degrades the value of the site to a certain extent. I come on here for info(you can learn something from everyone) and to help people with questions I may have learned the hard way. I also come on here because I love maple. Not a day goes by, even in the off season, that I don't do or think maple. What is a turnoff is to get on here and have someone voice their opinion and argue that their way is the only way.
Neil

I feel the same way and I don't enjoy seeing arguments break out on here. Seems like threads have turned to bickering a bit more since the bulk price dropped, or maybe it's a coincidence. Either way I still come on here regularly and appreciate people's input, and hope we can continue to be civil and learn from each other. Good luck to everyone this season

wlatrout
02-07-2018, 03:38 PM
Being a small operator I will run between 200 snd 300 taps this year.We are presently in Ar. on vacation so I'm planning out my strategy for when I get home to northern In. This thread has got me fired up to get started. Have learned a great deal here. Thanks to all who post here.

Haynes Forest Products
02-07-2018, 05:20 PM
I appreciate all the replies. I understand that there are a lot of variables and didn't want to start an agreement. Millie705's post

Millie I like your Freudian slip. I read and reread a lot of the posts and I think were all basically on the same page as far as goals. Were all on this site to learn and improve. But we also have limited time to get the job done. So making good use of your time and energy is crucial. I very rarely tap alone so its a 2 or 3 man job tapping. So when I say I can tap 1700 trees in 2 days that is usually divide by 3 people. I also realize that for me getting the taps in first and then doing the repairs later is the best way for me. I do my best work repairing the lines when I'm alone.

I think its to simplified to say tapping trees because throwing holes in a tree and walking away is easy its the seating and tap removal and replacement takes the time. I like returning to the woods the next day and improving my woods when its up and running........The no pressure time. I also hate finding out that my 16 year old son's only job was to cut the tap off and slide the drop onto the already seated spout was cutting 3-5 inches of tubing off the laterals. :mad: I also have the advantage of my woods being 98% sugar Maples and most are withing 15 ft of each other.

blissville maples
02-07-2018, 07:09 PM
There are many variables, too many to compare one sugar producer to another, and as stated there is no right or wrong answer here. I may have felt like, because I stated I tapped one of my bushes at 120 taps per hour, some were saying it was a bad tap job and I completely disagree, and I should have read no more, but I over expressed myself to explain to all for some reason- when why should I care if u believe me or not. However in that same post I believe i stated another I was no where near 100 per hr based on terrain.

One thing which is hard to take into consideration when communication exists within text is ones tone. Sometimes you can read the same thing and take it multiple ways based on how you take it. I've experience this via phone text msgs- the reader doesn't always percieve the message as the writer intended.

With that said, let's all look forward to the warmer temps next week and do what we are here for and make some syrup!

markcasper
02-07-2018, 07:47 PM
There are many variables, too many to compare one sugar producer to another, and as stated there is no right or wrong answer here. I may have felt like, because I stated I tapped one of my bushes at 120 taps per hour, some were saying it was a bad tap job and I completely disagree, and I should have read no more, but I over expressed myself to explain to all for some reason- when why should I care if u believe me or not. However in that same post I believe i stated another I was no where near 100 per hr based on terrain.

One thing which is hard to take into consideration when communication exists within text is ones tone. Sometimes you can read the same thing and take it multiple ways based on how you take it. I've experience this via phone text msgs- the reader doesn't always percieve the message as the writer intended.

With that said, let's all look forward to the warmer temps next week and do what we are here for and make some syrup!

If your getting 2/3 of a gallon of syrup per tap, year after year, then I'd say you are doing a good tap job.

blissville maples
02-07-2018, 08:13 PM
So Mille705 to sum things up here is the answer. The BIG COMMERCIAL GUY'S tap somewhere between 1-120 per hour. I suspect that trees per acre, age of tree, Taps per tree, slope of land, amount of repairs and the physical condition of the person running the drill all have something to do with the taps per hour. I am convinced that a person tapping 120 per hour can do the same quality job as the person doing just one tap. Some people are just geared different. It's not an ego thing it's just reality.

Spud

Probably the best post yet very true, sums it up, speaks for everyone on a NEUTRAL level

markcasper
02-08-2018, 01:11 AM
Probably the best post yet very true, sums it up, speaks for everyone on a NEUTRAL level

Maybe the guys doing 120 holes an hour have the taphole location already checked out, possibly a touch of paint where that new taphole will go prior to the new tapping?

Russell Lampron
02-08-2018, 05:35 AM
A lot of it can depend on what type of tap you are using. It takes longer to cut off an old tap, put on a new one then tap it in than it does to grab a new adapter out of your pocket, tap it in and twist on a stubby. I use the cv2's which take longer to tap but I have very few leaks compared to when I used the 2 piece system. I'll take that trade off any day.

Haynes Forest Products
02-08-2018, 10:46 AM
There are so many variables that You really cant compare one operation to the next. Now when you hear I can do 50 per hr and someone eles says 118.5 then you can assume there are some very different conditions.

My tubing system is 3 years old but with new mainlines being added every year its hard to predict how long a certain section will take. The older section will take a little longer JUST BECAUSE.

I have had capable guys help me tap my woods and we both start out on opposite sides of the mainline. We get to going and before long I'm 3 laterals ahead of him. I have streamlined my way of tapping from the old days. I carry a pair of pliers, utility knife, 2 rolls of tape, hammer, drill, 100 taps and a few T's and splicers. My fully stocked ATV is always in sight. PLEASE don't ask me to BORROW my roll of tape or pliers or BRING you a fitting. When I get in the zone I'm in the zone and don't like stopping to discuss the best way to get a big branch of a lateral.

I will look over and see my other guy walking along with a bucket with a drill, extra battery, hammer, taps, twisty ties, bottle of water, 1 soggy roll of tape that he cant find the end on, his snowmobile gloves and other miscellaneous crap. He walks up to the tree and sets the bucket down and starts digging for his drill. Now the drill was the first thing he uses so at the end of his tapping adventure it ends up at the bottom of the bucket buried under all the other stuff. Then comes the digging for the claw hammer YIKES now he has pulled all his other crap out of the bucket getting his hammer out. Now trust me I have been that person. Ill tell you I get a good laugh even a belly buster laugh seeing a 225 pound man trip over a stick the size of spaghetti noodle ending up with his bucket flung all over the place with his head jammed into a snow bank and his sun glasses on sideways.

Now when you deconstruct how many tools and moves and thoughts it takes to tap one lateral of 5 trees you realize if you can save just 5 seconds off of each step your talking some real time.

Now my favorite part comes after I wipe the tears and snot from my face after laughing bent over to keep from crying at the site of Andy rolling around trying to get up out of the snow bank. I get my ear buds back in Resume listening to Radar Love by Golden Earing and I'm back in my zone and I'm distracted by the sound of Andy yelling if he can barrow my hammer because he cant find his.......... GDAGFYOFHammer.

Haynes Forest Products
02-08-2018, 10:54 AM
OH I forgot I save about 10 seconds per tap because I have my cordless drill on a shoulder sling that allows it to hang on my right side at arms length so I can drop it after drilling and retrieve it as I walk up to the next tree with my tap in hand because its JUST A HABIT.......Muscle Memory..... Practice make permanent not perfect.

ennismaple
02-12-2018, 01:07 PM
I know a guy that was proud of himself on how many trees he could tap. Yea running thru the woods punching holes then moving on to the next tree. Then were expected to come behind and find the **** hole. Yea I know just look for the chips on the snow or the dripping hole. If the average time it takes to walk to a tree, drill hole insert ta, cut off old one, seat tap attach drop is less than 30 seconds I get really impatient looking for a tap hole.

You sure we haven't tapped together Haynes?!? That sounds like me at one point... Because we use the CV adapters I drill the hole and put the adapter in, then twist the old adapter off the stubbie. The hammer guy seats the adapter and the stubbie. It's not twice as fast as having 2 guys tapping alone but many helpers aren't experienced enough to tap the way I want it done.

ennismaple
02-12-2018, 01:41 PM

Spud There are many factors as you've said. If it's hilly you're slower than on flat land. Can I walk on a crust or am I trudging around on snowshoes? If it's a new bush you can simply walk up, take the dropline straight up from the tee and tap - older trees take more work to find good sapwood. If you're digging lines out from under the snow or fixing animal chews it takes time and ruins any rhythm you had. Cutting old seasonal spiles off the dropline and installing new ones also takes time and slows you down.

Birthday candles slow you down more than anything!

Haynes Forest Products
02-12-2018, 01:53 PM
Ennis when I'm in full blown tap mode I hate waiting. When I'm in the woods adding a lateral or adding those overlooked taps once the existing taps are in I can meander thru the woods having fun in slow mode.

I hate waiting so much that if I was condemned to death and could drive myself to my execution I would get a speeding ticket and butt in line.:cool: