PDA

View Full Version : New Lapierre Jr 2x5 - handling ash without build in pan

tgormley358
02-02-2018, 02:02 PM
No longer a true newbie, but new to my Lap Jr 2x5 this year, which i'm still setting up in my new 10x12 sugar shack. I've been scratching my head because i hadn't foreseen that the design of the front of the arch doesn't have an ash pan under the grates to catch ash, as my prior two loaned evaporators had. In those the ash dropped into a pan which i cleaned out regularly. In the new 2x5 the bottom under the grates is open with no pan. I asked the supplier and he said it just sits on the floor which is a new (poured Nov. 7) concrete slab in my case. That didn't sound optimal to me, but is that what others do? Will that damage my new slab? Would i be better off building up concrete blocks or a stack of firebrick under it, creating sort of a pan for the ash? Is concrete block sufficient, or do i need to use firebrick? Thanks.

jrobida
02-02-2018, 02:26 PM
following this as I just picked up the same evaporator last week. I was going to cast a 3"-4" concrete slab the size of the firebox and place it on top of my floor slab to lift the evaporator up a bit, then was going to bend a piece of aluminum to fit into the cleanout area as a sort of tray.

mol1jb
02-02-2018, 02:49 PM
Is there a blower on this unit? A lot of those using blowers say there isn't much ash collection due to the air blowing through the grates.

amaranth farm
02-02-2018, 05:14 PM
Radio Silence.

McKenney Maples
02-02-2018, 06:05 PM
My mason 2x4 was on an old grimm arch that was set up the same way. I built a small steel ash box that slide in under the arch. I raised the arch up 8" on cement blocks. Then I bent up some sheet metal wings and attached them to the frame below the draft door to help direct the falling ash into the box. I laid firebricks under the box just to keep it up off the slab. I eventually ended up sealing the bottom off with furnace cement and sheet metal to add a blower.

maple flats
02-02-2018, 06:12 PM
Mine has no ash pan, and it is not an issue. The heat under the grates will not harm the slab. I just remove the ash 2-3x a season, but I do have high pressure AUF/AOF.

tgormley358
02-02-2018, 06:17 PM
Thanks for your feedback. Let's compare notes later on our new Lap Jr 2x5s. I have a blower unit but haven't installed yet, so that's a thought re the reduced ashes. I'll start with some blocks or brick or both to raise it up, which i think i was going to do anyway. It's good to know i'm following a path others have tried though. I don't think i have the tools or knowhow to form a metal pan so I'll look around for something that'll fit the bill for now.