PDA

View Full Version : Not sure about this season

maple flats
02-02-2018, 01:59 PM
On Monday I had a severe pain in my lower left side. Being I'd had one the same about 10-12 years ago, I headed right off the the ER. There they sent me for a CAT scan which confirmed what I thought. I again had a diverticulitis problem. They put me on a strong antibiotic and sent me home. That took care of that issue in 2-3 days.
However, the CAT scan also showed a "lesion" on my left kidney. I went to a urologist yesterday where a sonogram was done. The Dr then studied both the CAT scan and the sonogram and said with about 80% certainty I have cancer on my left kidney. I'm now being scheduled for a biopsy to verify and if it does prove to be cancer, it will be removed by robotic surgery. The Dr says I would likely lose anywhere from 20% to 100% of my left kidney.
The good part about this is that had my diverticulitis given a problem, this cancer would have never been discovered this early. In a way, it seems God gave me the diverticulitis to help them find the cancer early.
At this point I have no idea how soon the surgery will be, but I'll be out for several days to a few weeks after, and since my wife and I are scheduled to go on an Alaskan Cruise this summer, that may need to be postponed and rescheduled for next year.
If it is determined that I won't be able to make syrup this year, I will try to see if I can get a local Amish man, who I sold one lease to, to run my lease which is just a mile from him, on shares so at least I'd get some syrup to sell. I'll know better as this unfolds.
In the meantime, prayers would be appreciated, thanks.

SeanD
02-02-2018, 02:48 PM
Hey Dave,

Sorry to hear the bad news. For me, health issues feel the scariest because we have so little control over them. My prayers are definitely with you and your family. It's the least I can do for all the support you've offered me and everyone else on the MT. Let us know how it goes.

Sean

jrm
02-02-2018, 02:51 PM
That's a rough ride, and as you said, the side pain a blessing in disguise. My thoughts are with you for positive news from the Dr (not cancer) and if you must go the surgery route, a smooth and speedy recover.

Sugarmaker
02-02-2018, 03:19 PM
Dave,
Wishing you the best outcome possible as you and your doctors tackle the cancer. Dont worry much about the maple season. Do what you can but you may have to let it slide this year.
Regards,
Chris

BAP
02-02-2018, 03:36 PM
Sorry to hear that Dave. I wished I lived nearby because I would gladly help you out. Like you said, someone was watching out for you by having your other troubles act up causing scans to be taken.

wnybassman
02-02-2018, 03:42 PM
Early detection is all anyone can hope for. Praying that this is just a small bump in the road for you.

minehart gap
02-02-2018, 04:23 PM
Best of luck Dave, may God be with you and your family.

Our prayers go out to you

mountainvan
02-02-2018, 04:44 PM
80% is not 100% Dave. Hopefully it's not cancer. If you need anyone to talk to you have my number. Good luck.

georgelineman
02-02-2018, 04:47 PM
We are with you Dave, you are on the prayer line.
George

buckeye gold
02-02-2018, 04:54 PM
Trust in the Lord Dave and expect miracles. I agree with BAP, if I lived closer I'd surely help. You are always willing to help everyone with questions and I am sure I speak for the the forum as a whole that we truly wish the very best outcome for you. My heart always sinks a little when I hear people having to face serious problems. we never know, but at least you were wise enough to go get checked. I almost waited too long last summer, I had been having some shortness of breath and felt worn out. I tried to explain it away, but finally one night I just got up and told the wife to take me to the ER. It turned out I had two blockages and an underlying heart condition. They got me all tuned up and I was lucky to not have a heart attack. I hope for good news for you, too.

PATheron
02-02-2018, 05:04 PM
Dave- I hope it turns out not to be cancer too but if it is at least like you said your lucky found it early. Hope the best for u and your season fellow maple man. Theron

red dorakeen
02-02-2018, 05:17 PM
My best wishes for a good and speedy outcome.

mike103
02-02-2018, 05:21 PM
Dave keep mind over matter and you will pull thru, plenty of sugar seasons ahead, God Bless

Super Sapper
02-02-2018, 05:31 PM
Praying for the best. You have helped so many including myself.

maple flats
02-02-2018, 06:08 PM
Thank all for all of the kind replies and the calls. I will keep you posted.

heus
02-02-2018, 06:10 PM
Praying for you Dave.

51 cub
02-02-2018, 06:31 PM
Prayers from CT, Dave. We're thinking about you

Russell Lampron
02-02-2018, 06:31 PM
Sorry to hear about that Dave. If it does turn out to be cancer and that you have to have surgery it won't happen soon enough to affect sugaring season. I'm speaking from experience here. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer last spring. I went to the urologist in early April and he confirmed my PCP's diagnosis that the right side of my prostate felt larger than the left. I had a biopsy on April 28th and got the bad news on May 9th. After consultations with my urologist and an oncologist I decided to have surgery over radiation treatments. I had surgery on July 13th almost 3 months after the biopsy. Unless they determine that the cancer is aggressive the timeline should be similar.

dblact38
02-02-2018, 06:42 PM
Praying for you Dave and a speedy recovery

Mark B
02-02-2018, 08:08 PM
Dave, I have valued your advise. Praying for the best possible outcome. Grateful as well that the diverticulitis led to the early discovery. God is good.

Robert K
02-02-2018, 08:50 PM
Dave , keep your head up, this will work out. A missed maple season will only put more fire in your belly for the next one. You gotta look after you first. You are in our prayers for a healthy and speedy recovery.
I wish I lived closer.
Robert

johnallin
02-02-2018, 10:36 PM
Dave Klish
You're in our prayers.. God speed all will be good. Take care, keep a stiff upper lip....
John Allin Family

MISugarDaddy
02-03-2018, 05:21 AM
Dave,
You will definitely be in our thoughts and prayers. As bad as the news may seem, you have to thank God that you have such good medical resources available to you to take care of whatever the situation turns out to be. Even if you are unable to tap this year, we look forward to your comments and advice on the forum. Thanks for keeping us updated.
Gary

Ausable
02-03-2018, 05:24 AM
Wishing You a speedy recovery.... I think You are right. Sometimes there is a reason for everything that happens. May God bless You.. Ausable

Maplewalnut
02-03-2018, 06:50 AM
Best of luck Dave. Early detection is the key whether cancer or not. Prayers to you and the family.

Mike

MapleMark753
02-03-2018, 07:21 AM
Sorry to hear of the health prognosis and really hope you're able to return to complete health soon. Keep after them Doctors!

DrTimPerkins
02-03-2018, 08:12 AM
Good luck Dave. Hoping everything works out just fine.

David in MI
02-03-2018, 08:23 AM
Best wishes to you along with prayers for the best possible outcome. You're a wonderful contributor to this site helping both veteran and newbie sugarmakers in this grand tradition.

unclejohn
02-03-2018, 10:21 PM
Dave i wish you the best. I appreciate your many posts on mapletrader and hope you have good health to continue doing so in the future. John

Matt H
02-08-2018, 08:29 AM
Dave, the journey of life definitely has its ups and downs. My family and I will be praying for you and yours. Not too far away...let me know if you need anything.

Matt

maple flats
02-08-2018, 09:00 AM
Thanks all for the prayers and kind words.
I now have my biopsy appointment, next Tuesday 2/13. Still hoping this was a false alarm, but not really expecting it to be. My mother had breast cancer in her early forties, and she then died at age 94, cancer free, dad never had any cancer, he passed at 91. I'm just counting on the treatments to be effective, and I realize they will be real tough.

to100
02-08-2018, 07:57 PM
Dave may your higher power work miracles. Sounds like you have longevity in your blood. God,s speed.
We all look forward to more of advice in our addictive hobby or business
God bless.

Bucket Head
02-08-2018, 11:05 PM
Dave,

My father and I are very sorry to hear this. However, sounds like you have a lot of longevity in the family so this is probably just a speed bump (or pot hole) in the road. Thoughts and prayers are with you. Keep us posted.

Steve

crashmjsapman
02-09-2018, 07:04 AM
Sorry to here this info about your health. But you may be right God does funny things at times to keep us safer than if he didn't do anything. Hope everything goes smoothly in the hospital and all cancer (if that is what it is) will be removed. You are a great help to all us sappers with your wisdom. Get better and keep us informed. Crashmjniles in the north

Bruce L
02-09-2018, 11:24 AM
Sending prayers your way Dave,hope everything turns out great for you and your family. Enjoy chatting with you and reading your posts,look forward to many more helpful conversations from you

CampHamp
02-09-2018, 12:00 PM
Thinking of you today, Dave. If they do find a malignancy, please rest in the fact that science and medicine can do amazing things in treating cancer nowadays. I’m ready to tap today, 7 years after my own diagnosis.

bigtreemaple
02-10-2018, 08:54 PM
Dave, I wish you the best possible outcome!

maple flats
02-12-2018, 07:05 PM
Thanks again for the prayers and kind wishes. My biopsy date has changed, tentatively to 2/21.
This past summer I had a blood clot in my left calf and have since been on blood thinners. I got a blood test last Friday (having stopped the blood thinner 2 days earlier) but the test showed too much thinner to do the biopsy. I'm to remain off the thinner I was on and I'll be getting a different thinner as an injection twice a day, starting tomorrow. I'll need to find out if that one gets discontinued at some point before the biopsy. I get that info tomorrow.
This is a bummer having this occur now, I want to tap but my Dr. says I need to wait. I'll just wait for his OK.

Dill
02-12-2018, 08:03 PM
Keep your stick on the ice. I hope you get some answers soon.

MapleCamp
02-12-2018, 08:39 PM
Good luck Dave, I'l be praying for you. For what its worth Ive been running around the woods for 13 years with out the left kidney, a few other parts as well. Keep a positive attitude know what you want.

maple flats
02-22-2018, 11:49 AM
My biopsy was yesterday. It was sort of OK, the only issue was that the Dr. started putting the LOOOOONG needle in about 2 minutes before the spot was numb. After the first 2 minutes I only felt pressure. He took several samples.
To my surprise the results will take 6-7 days, I had thought it would be much faster, like yesterday or today.
I was given order to stay in today but tomorrow I can start work. I'll start by tapping around my sugarhouse, my 9 yr. old grandson will be helping. There I'll only have about 160-175 taps, maybe 180. Then I'll start the pump and just let the sap go on the ground for a couple hours, then I will start holding it. I may have a first boil this weekend or more likely early next week. I need about 250-300 gal to have my first boil. If that few taps is not running good, that could take a couple of days, if good, one day can do it. The vacuum runs at about 24-25" there using a BB4 pump.

danno
02-22-2018, 01:21 PM
Hi Dave, I'm thinking of you and praying for you. Unfortunately, that is news I received this past July. It has sidelined me for this syrup season, but that doesn’t stop me from checking the Trader every few days just to hear what my fellow producers are up to. I miss producing terribly, especially during season, but my health doesn’t currently allow it. It certainly is a hard thing to wrap your head around, especially at the beginning. If you ever want to talk, give me a shout on PM and we can exchange phone numbers.

maple flats
02-22-2018, 05:56 PM
danno, thanks, I may someday take you up on that. We do have experience with cancer, my maternal grandmother died of it in her 40's, the my mother had it in her 40's, but thanks to advances in treatments, she died at the age of 94 cancer free, then my wife went thru it 12 years ago and is now cancer free and her mother had it at about 45 yrs of age and she died at 89 cancer free.
We have lived it and seen the ugly side of it. Still, I may someday contact you, or you can contact me if you need a shoulder to lean on or an ear to listen.

maple flats
02-27-2018, 12:59 PM
I got my biopsy results, I do have cancer. Going to Dr. in a few minutes to get a referral to an oncologist. I want to have them test to see if I have any cancer in other areas, and not just my left kidney. Then on Thursday I see 2 more doctors and maybe 3 if I can get to see an oncologist.
I'll be tapping as many trees as I can and a local Amishman said he would boil it for me. My brother in law will check for leaks and haul the sap if I'm not able.
It's now time to go.
Dave

minehart gap
02-27-2018, 01:41 PM
Best of luck Dave, I can’t speak for everyone on here but I believe that all of our thoughts and prayers are with you.

BAP
02-27-2018, 02:46 PM
Sorry to hear that Dave. Praying for you and hope everything goes well.

red dorakeen
02-27-2018, 03:36 PM
I'm hoping for the best for you Dave.

heus
02-27-2018, 04:25 PM
Praying for you Dave.

buckeye gold
02-27-2018, 04:39 PM
You certainly will be on a lot of minds and hearts Dave. You should feel prayers covering you everyday. If you want I can put you on a prayer list with a ministry I am in. We have an awesome prayer team and would be glad to lift you up.

maple flats
02-27-2018, 04:57 PM
The power of prayer is great, thank you all.

Snappyssweets
02-27-2018, 07:22 PM
Thoughts and Prayers Dave.

Positive thinking and refusal to give in is what my family members who have had it and overcome it have stated they feel was another thing.
Stay positive don't think in terms of what you can not do but in terms of what you can.

maple marc
02-27-2018, 09:26 PM
Dave...with you.

Russell Lampron
02-27-2018, 10:10 PM
Sorry to hear that Dave. I was hoping that you would get good news. I'm hoping that they don't find cancer anywhere else and that treating what is there now is successful.

prairietapper
02-28-2018, 12:00 AM
prayers for a healthy recovery!

I am glad you found it early!

maple flats
02-28-2018, 02:31 PM
Tentatively my surgery will be 4/18. Now I can do the rest of the season which is almost always over before then at my location. The urologist says my cancer is the easiest type to remove and the least aggressive type. At this point I guess this is the best news I could expect. He said that it had not spread in the 5 weeks since my initial CAT scan and at 3 cm x 3 cm it is very likely not to have spread to any other areas.
Thanks for all your prayers, they helped big time.
Originally I had an appt. to see that Dr tomorrow at 8:30, then he called to see if I could come in today. At that I packed up my drill and other tubing tools and went home to get my wife to follow me. I had to drop off my truck for a brake job. On a F350 4x4 diesel this won't likely be cheap. But before I got on a major hill hauling a load of sap it had to be done. Bad time to need it, but something in the rear rt. wheel/brake broke loose yesterday.
I stuck home now, with no vehicle, but will be out working again in the morning. MY brother in law has recovered enough from his hernia surgery that he can now do light work, he's picking me up and we'll work together.

buckeye gold
02-28-2018, 02:40 PM
excellent news Dave and Praise the Lord for a speedy recovery

red dorakeen
02-28-2018, 04:14 PM
That sounds like good news.

highlandcattle
02-28-2018, 04:30 PM
We'll be thinking of you. Glad you'll be able to get some syrup. I guess just take each day as it comes. Slow and steady. The m in nd tells us we are still able to do everything the body says something else. Just take care. It's been a hard adjustment for us to leaves the farm. Ron tapped the trees in the front yard and hes boiling in the garage. He's pretty content. Our thoughts of a successful surgery our wish you.

DrTimPerkins
02-28-2018, 06:19 PM
Terrific news Dave.

BAP
02-28-2018, 06:21 PM
Sounds like good news for a bad situation. Enjoy your sugar season.

MISugarDaddy
03-01-2018, 05:19 AM
At least the news so far is good. You will be in our thoughts and prayers. January, four years ago my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer and had to under go surgery and radiation. Because the season started late that year, it left me pretty much on my own while she was going to her radiation sessions. It has definitely changed our outlook on life!
Gary and Susie

Super Sapper
03-01-2018, 05:33 AM
Given your circumstance it sounds like great news. I hope you have a quick recovery.

Matt H
03-04-2018, 09:31 PM
Dave, glad to hear everything is going well...considering the circumstances. Our prayers are still with you as the surgery date approaches.
Matt

highlandcattle
03-07-2018, 07:07 AM
Dave are you going to be able to do the Maple Weekends? Ron and I were going to take a drive to see you if you were going to be around. I certainly understand if this is not something you can do this year. Take care