PDA

View Full Version : Reusing Glass Bottles - Best & Easiest Way to Sterilize?

HawkeyeMike
02-02-2018, 10:25 AM
I have several glass bottles that have been returned empty to me from friends and family...They've all been cleaned (through a dishwasher or whatever), and I'd like to reuse them this year. My question is, do they need to be sterilized, and if so, what is the easiest way?

Do people put a pile of empty glass bottles in an oven at 350 for 20 minutes or something like that?
Do I need to put them in boiling water for some time period?
Could I just fill them with 185-degree syrup and tip them on their side during the normal bottling process?

What are everyone's thoughts on how to reuse glass bottles safely?

Thanks!
Mike

Haynes Forest Products
02-02-2018, 10:42 AM
I just run thru the dish washer. If your confident that they are clean I have put a splash of water in them and Nuke until the water steams them sterile.

DrTimPerkins
02-02-2018, 12:17 PM
If you are giving your syrup away, it probably isn't a problem. If you are selling it, check your state and local laws first to see whether it is legal to refill containers.

sap retreiver
02-02-2018, 12:48 PM
When it was friends and family I washed them in the dishwasher and filled them right out of that. Never had a problem. Now I use them for the last bit in the pan for home consumption. Just remember to use new lids

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
02-05-2018, 09:37 PM
Are bottles ever sterilized when you 1st use them? Im pretty sure they just come in bulk in boxes or off a shelf. Certainly not from a sterile environment.

CampHamp
02-06-2018, 12:37 AM
I don't think you need to sterilize them. Just rinse them clean by shaking hot water inside and let them dry fully. The syrup will sterilize.

I reuse about 40 glass bottles each year this way with no mold issues.

minehart gap
02-06-2018, 04:57 PM
In PA all bottles must be washed, rinsed and sterilized. I never asked about reuse but new bottles are not assumed to be clean and sterile.

I just looked it up quick. All bottles are to be considered single service.

Bruce L
02-07-2018, 05:37 AM
Here in Ontario it's an ABSOLUTE NO NO to reuse any containers,funny thing is pretty sure the beer and liquor bottles just get a quick rinse prior to refilling?

buckeye gold
02-07-2018, 07:18 AM
I have people returning bottles all the time. I never reuse them for sale, but I will run them through the dishwasher on heated dry and put personal use syrup in them. I have never had a problem. I keep all reuse bottles for my own use.

Weekend_Warrior
02-07-2018, 07:27 AM
I read somewhere that putting dry glass in an oven isn't safe as the glass may explode when you touch them. So, the better way to sterilize is to put the bottles in boiling water. I'm not sure if that is true or not.

HawkeyeMike
02-07-2018, 10:14 AM
Thanks for everyone's comments here, they've been very helpful. Here in Illinois, I'm not surrounded by alot of syrup makers, so this forum has been very helpful to me.

Mike

Run Forest Run!
02-07-2018, 10:36 AM
It is true that they can explode if heated in an oven. The dry heat in an oven is an uneven heat, unlike the heat in a water bath. Years ago, when home canning, it was a common practise to prep the bottles in the oven. It is not the case now. Most manufacturers of canning jars are very clear about the dangers of that practise and caution against it. Safety first.