PDA

View Full Version : Zinc Orthophosphate

eustis22
01-31-2018, 06:53 PM
Does anyone know if barrels that contained Zinc Orthophosphate (water additive) would be safe for sap?

Haynes Forest Products
01-31-2018, 09:04 PM
well its slightly toxic and if you get it in your eyes it will burn them.

DrTimPerkins
02-01-2018, 07:37 AM
http://www.caruscorporation.com/resources/content/5/1/documents/CarusZincAndOrthoPhosphate_ProductSafetySummarycp. pdf

I apologize if this comes off as a bit harsh, but in my opinion, such barrels (or other similar equipment) should never be used for food-related use. If you're making syrup for personal consumption, I would still advise against it, but it's your decision. If you are sharing with friends and family, do you want to jeopardize them in any way to save a few dollars? If you're selling the syrup, it is quite possible that it would be considered illegal. If bulk buyers saw it in your sugarhouse, chances are they wouldn't buy your syrup. This very same type of thing is what resulted in the whole "lead" issue in maple syrup years ago....people using equipment in a way it was never intended for.

Interestingly enough, even the standard drums used for maple syrup storage (painted barrels with lacquer coating inside) are called ONE-WAY barrels, and are intended for one-time use and not for reuse.

Years ago there were some absolutely beautiful and superbly constructed barrels being advertised in the maple industry for a good price. They came out of the pacific northwest. We purchased one (for testing) and found it had contained a chemical carcinogen used in electronics manufacture. Strong solvent odor. They were banned from the industry (at least in Vermont) shortly afterward.

Finally, there have been several episodes of various contaminants in maple that have been caught at times over the past 20 yrs. Some were deliberate, but most are accidental. Why risk adding your name to the list? I can tell you it ends up being a real regulatory and possibly legal hassle for those involved. Just get the right equipment from the start. If you don't want to make food the right way...then don't make it at all.

BAP
02-01-2018, 07:50 AM
If you are looking to buy used barrels for sap storage, look for ones that previously held a food product like juice or vinegar.

eustis22
02-01-2018, 08:22 AM
Thank you all. I appreciate the input. My other barrels contained ginger ale syrup and vinegar. I wanted something smaller so picked these up on craigslist. He did specify that they were food grade but I'll either get rid of them the same way or use thewm for non sap purposes. Thanks for saviung me from myself.

Daveg
02-11-2018, 01:57 PM
It depends on the barrels. Some stainless is sintered and therefore, porous.

Haynes Forest Products
02-11-2018, 04:46 PM
My supplier said that the best use for plastic barrels for syrup storage is as a burn barrel.

S.S.S
02-11-2018, 10:46 PM
My supplier said that the best use for plastic barrels for syrup storage is as a burn barrel. let me guess that was Pete Roth? Lol

Haynes Forest Products
02-12-2018, 12:05 AM
YUP He bounced a full drum off my trailer onto the ground I about died :lol:

eustis22
02-12-2018, 06:50 AM
these were described as "food grade" HDPE plastic. But here;s a question.....could they be used as storage for permeate? I am building a small RO and need to store some permeate for post-Osmosisizing rinse water.

Cjadamec
02-12-2018, 08:06 AM
HDPE#2 containers are generally considered food safe when brand new and unsed. They are also considered single use containers only. Once they have been used the plastic will absorb what ever is stored in them. Believe it or not plastic is porous and will retain liquid, and even swell up much like wood does when soaked in water.

True "Food Grade" plastic containers will be made up of multiple layers. The outer shell is a typical #2 HDPE container. There will also be at least one inner layer of food grade liner material that is less porous and more stable. The multi layer construction of food grade containers makes them suitable for longer term food storage and limited multiple use. They are also considerably more expensive.

Because plain #2 HPDE can be used to store sooo many products both toxic and non-toxic in nature you should be very cautious about using them. There is virtually no way to tell what has or hasn't been in a used container. Unless you are the one who purchased the container brand new and sealed there really is no way to know for sure what has been in the container.

There are many food industry sources where you can get used "single use containers" that you can be fairly confident in reusing and that they have never had anything toxic in them. It is very important to trust the location those containers are coming from. There is always a small risk when going this route.

If for any reason you know, or suspect, a used container has held anything other than a food product that container should never go near your sap or syrup.

Personally I'm ok with reusing containers that I know the history of. I also believe its very important to understand the nature of the risks in doing so. It should also be noted that I would think much differently about used containers if I ever intended on selling anything I produced. If you are selling your products the cost of buying proper storage containers should be built into your business model and be covered by the sale of your product.

Bucket Head
02-12-2018, 09:30 AM
I would not use those barrels for permeate either. Plastic is porous so traces of that chemical is still in them. You would be introducing that chemical into the sap by way of the RO if you rinsed with that water. Get rid of them.

Motor oil comes in HDPE containers also so it's not just a food grade thing. You have to be very mindful and watchful with what is used and/or repurposed for food making. -Steve