PDA

View Full Version : Ice in bucket keep or throw out

Jacob
01-31-2018, 02:52 PM
With ice in my buckets do you keep it or throw it out and if you only had 20 taps what would you do. I threw it out just not sure if that is the right decision

esetter
01-31-2018, 03:17 PM
That was the right decision. Is almost all water. This will reduce boil down time.

maple flats
01-31-2018, 03:48 PM
That is called "poor man's RO". This concentrates to sugar in the sap.

Woodsrover
01-31-2018, 04:02 PM
Has anyone ever measured sugar content in both the ice and the non-frozen sap from the same bucket? I'd be curious to see the results. Might just do it myself this weekend...

Jacob
01-31-2018, 05:01 PM
If you do test would like to know what you find and what about slush not frozen yet
QUOTE=Woodsrover;341304]Has anyone ever measured sugar content in both the ice and the non-frozen sap from the same bucket? I'd be curious to see the results. Might just do it myself this weekend...[/QUOTE]

RileySugarbush
01-31-2018, 05:45 PM
It depends partially on how completely the bucket is frozen. If only layers around the outside and skin on top will have far less than 1%. If half frozen, may be more.

blissville maples
01-31-2018, 06:54 PM
Has anyone ever measured sugar content in both the ice and the non-frozen sap from the same bucket? I'd be curious to see the results. Might just do it myself this weekend...

I did this about two years ago, the melted ice measured about 1/2 percent sugar. I think it would depend on how mixed the water and sugar is which would depend on how long it's been sitting.....

Jacob
01-31-2018, 07:00 PM
There was a thick layer of ice say 4 inch thick that was this afternoon and yesterday out of 7- 5 gallon buckets I filled up a 5 gal bucket with slush I used a strainer to remove hope I did not just throw away what could of been good syrup
QUOTE=RileySugarbush;341320]It depends partially on how completely the bucket is frozen. If only layers around the outside and skin on top will have far less than 1%. If half frozen, may be more.[/QUOTE]

Sugarmaker
01-31-2018, 08:00 PM
Its never going to hurt to boil it. But check the sap that is liquid in the container with the ice to check for sugar content. If it is significantly higher than normal (you would need a base line at this point) then mother nature is helping you reduce your boiling time.
Regards,
Chris

Hunt4sap
01-31-2018, 09:27 PM
Funny that this is a topic I just did this experiment yesterday because I wanted to know how much sugar content was in my ice in my buckets.5% and the second picture shows 2.2% which was up from 2% so there's the difference the ice has very small amounts of sugar in it

Jacob
02-01-2018, 09:03 AM
I don't want to sound stupid but first picture says worth adding to pre heater I don't have a elaborate setup just 2 steam pans on a barrel and I pre heat in SS stockpot on grill and use candy thermometer I have 18 taps is it worth keeping
QUOTE=Hunt4sap;341356]17365
Funny that this is a topic I just did this experiment yesterday because I wanted to know how much sugar content was in my ice in my buckets.5% and the second picture shows 2.2% which was up from 2% so there's the difference the ice has very small amounts of sugar in it[/QUOTE]

Trapper2
02-01-2018, 10:23 AM
Depends on how much I have and also depends if it froze solid or just shell ice. Ideally, if it is froze 2" around the outside of the bucket I strain and save the liquid and dump the rest. If its solid, I save all and put in holding tank to keep new sap cool until I can boil.

Jacob
02-01-2018, 12:34 PM
That soinds good doing with your dad and grandpa alot of knolwdge there my son don't seem interested but does help if I need
QUOTE=Trapper2;341409]1737017371
Depends on how much I have and also depends if it froze solid or just shell ice. Ideally, if it is froze 2" around the outside of the bucket I strain and save the liquid and dump the rest. If its solid, I save all and put in holding tank to keep new sap cool until I can boil.[/QUOTE]

Hunt4sap
02-01-2018, 07:28 PM
Jacob
My "preheater" is a turkey fryer with a SS rectangular warming pan 17386
See on bench in corner ( nothing fancy or expensive)but does get sap up to 190-200 before I add it to my wood burning evaporator ( 55 gallon barrel) homemade 2 years ago
My walls are maple I milled with my chainsaw mill from blow downs off our property.

CampHamp
02-01-2018, 07:47 PM
I like the way you didn't need to square your boards, since they all had the same shape it worked out fine!

Jacob
02-02-2018, 07:49 AM
I am going to have to get me a shed built to stay warm just got barrel this year I like the bug pan you have my steam table pans only 4" deep full size restaurant looking for 6 or 8 deep I find alot on auctions

Jacob
My "preheater" is a turkey fryer with a SS rectangular warming pan 17386
See on bench in corner ( nothing fancy or expensive)but does get sap up to 190-200 before I add it to my wood burning evaporator ( 55 gallon barrel) homemade 2 years ago
My walls are maple I milled with my chainsaw mill from blow downs off our property.

Hunt4sap
02-02-2018, 10:34 AM
I like the natural Edge look it adds a lot of character
It's by no means airtight but I don't want it to be because I don't have a hood fan yet so it helps with keeping the steam from building up on everything

Jacob
02-02-2018, 12:49 PM
Anything is better than standing over a fire all day last year I forget how many gal I had but started early in the morning and did not finish till like 10pm that is exhausting at 60 yrs old but I enjoy it I think my big problem is land not having any living in the city
QUOTE=Hunt4sap;341537]I like the natural Edge look it adds a lot of character
It's by no means airtight but I don't want it to be because I don't have a hood fan yet so it helps with keeping the steam from building up on everything[/QUOTE]