PDA

View Full Version : Extractor plugs

butler
01-30-2018, 08:19 PM
I have the white plugs to screw into the back of my extractor for the holes not being used and I put teflon tape on the threads but they still have vacuum leaks around them .... is there a better solution to this?

Bricklayer
01-31-2018, 03:57 AM
A plumber at work gave me a couple rolls of premium teflon tape. What a difference. Thicker and I used way less.
I had trouble with my threads not sealing on my RO at the vessel cap. Used this teflon and no more leaks.
The pink teflon is thicker also.
When I was putting the fittings in my releaser I did notice that you have to be careful to get them threaded in properly.
It's easy to get them cross threaded. if it's hard to turn after 1 turn then take it out and try again.
I found they sealed the best when I got them in about 1/4" past the inside face of the pipe. So basically when I saw about 1/4" sticking through on the inside of the releaser.

JoeJ
01-31-2018, 05:41 AM
I think that you should be also using food grade pipe dope. I was told years ago that especially under vacuum, teflon tape alone is not adequate. Every threaded fitting I use gets both teflon tape and food grade pipe dope.

Joe

butler
01-31-2018, 06:13 AM
Perfect, thanks for the tips

Haynes Forest Products
01-31-2018, 08:37 AM
A word of caution on Teflon tape and pipe dope. They also act as a lubricant which can lead to over tightening. I have cracked more PVC and even cast fittings from SNUGGING the fitting up. Pipe fittings are a tappered so they can cause stress cracks that appear over time.

I wouldn't use Teflon tape on ruff or malled fittings because it balls up and fails to seat. Pipe dope with Teflon additive will seal better under the pressures of vacuum.

maple flats
01-31-2018, 11:13 AM
Agree again, I was told years ago to never use teflon tape on plastic, It's too easy to over tighten and cause damage. Use a good thread dope containing teflon, and do not over tighten.

wiam
01-31-2018, 04:19 PM
I fought this for years on plugs I was sure I would never use. I finally gave up and use pvc cleaner and cement before screwing in. Problem solved

Shaun
01-31-2018, 06:15 PM
I have had luck using plumbers putty rolled soft and wrapped around pipes/plugs and an electrical entrance on my home built extractor. Worked better than I thought it would.