PDA

View Full Version : Pump Suction Line

Pete S
01-29-2018, 08:57 PM
Picked up a new addition to the operation for this year, in a Red Lion transfer pump.

At the Maple Institute, there was more than one mention to watch and work to use FOOD GRADE equipment.

I am guessing that the suction hose hanging on the peg at Fleet Farm ain't quite what I should be using.

What is out there, and of course,........cheap!

Thanks!

Bucket Head
01-29-2018, 09:22 PM
Yes, food-grade hoses are what should be used for sap transfer. However, food-grade anything and cheap are not words that are used together, ever, unfortunately. It won't be cheap but I'd check out your local dairy supply. Many of us around where I am use hose(s) from there. They have a variety of materials and sizes that will transport just about any liquid. Again, not inexpensive but they will be safe and they will last a quite a while. The maple suppliers will also have something or can order it. Maybe some others on here will have some websites you could try also.

Steve

Haynes Forest Products
01-29-2018, 09:43 PM
Having many different suction hoses over the years I rate them using the aggravation scale. Go out and get a cheap one and you will be so aggravated you will drag it home behind the truck hoping it will rip off to never be seen again. Winding up a cheap hose is ugly and it gets uglier the colder it gets out. Cheap will lead to p[in holes and a small pinhole will keep you from getting it to self prime. If it doesn't have ribs it won't be very flexible. The ribs also protect the actual hose.

I would go out and get yourself the blue Tigerflex at your maple supplier. Its food grade and if you don't allow it to sit on the muffler, rub on the tire or slide down the road behind the sap hauler it will last forever. Plus the smooth inside allows it to seal on a barb fitting. Price is no object when it comes to a good suction line that is like wrestling a pissed off Anaconda in the back seat of a VW

BAP
01-30-2018, 05:29 AM
Having many different suction hoses over the years I rate them using the aggravation scale. Go out and get a cheap one and you will be so aggravated you will drag it home behind the truck hoping it will rip off to never be seen again. Winding up a cheap hose is ugly and it gets uglier the colder it gets out. Cheap will lead to p[in holes and a small pinhole will keep you from getting it to self prime. If it doesn't have ribs it won't be very flexible. The ribs also protect the actual hose.

I would go out and get yourself the blue Tigerflex at your maple supplier. Its food grade and if you don't allow it to sit on the muffler, rub on the tire or slide down the road behind the sap hauler it will last forever. Plus the smooth inside allows it to seal on a barb fitting. Price is no object when it comes to a good suction line that is like wrestling a pissed off Anaconda in the back seat of a VW
Well said. After dealing with pump hoses for 40+ years, there is no way that I would not spend the money on a good quality hose now. Having used many different types over the years, I have had some that would make you wish there was no sap to gather rather than to fight with the pump and hose. I now use the Tiger ribbed clear hose, and it is definitely the best I have ever dealt with.

TheMapleMoose
01-30-2018, 05:51 AM
Make sure you pick up some extra TF if that's what you decide to use. Its usually only good for one season in the elements and being repeatedly flexed before it will split. Also the white nylon barbed fittings fit it the best. Don't try to use the grey poly fittings, they are NOT going in there. We also lube up the fittings and then drive them in with a rubber hammer. Usually no clamp needed :)

JoeJ
01-30-2018, 06:41 AM
A couple of years ago when I purchased a bigger RO form Lapierre, the installer told me the best way to install Tiger Flex was use boiling water. Dip the end of the hose in the boiling water for 10-20 seconds and any fitting , even stainless steel will slide right in effortlessly. I have even used this method 1/2 mile out in the woods to install a Tiger Flex expansion joint on a vacuum line. Just threw a turkey cooker stand, propane tank, a pot and a gallon jug of water on the 4 wheeler. Even works on 3" Tiger Flex with SS fitings

Joe

Pete S
02-02-2018, 08:35 PM
Would a PVC reinforced hose work? Menards sell lengths and are MUCH cheaper than Tigerflex.

Haynes Forest Products
02-02-2018, 09:39 PM
Sure it will work. BUT will you be happy with it in 2-3-4-5 years down the road?? Heck you can go to the sump pump section at Home Depot or Lowe's and get a sump pump discharge hose for $12.00 and it will work Heck it might not be food grade but its only incidental contact.
I have had many hoses over the years they went bad with age. My Tigerflex is 4 years old and its like new. I have used the white ribbed suction hose from HD and it lasted a few years and started to crack and suck in air causing my pump to not prime. Now when your tanks are running over and you pump is sucking air and its dark and you cant find some electric tape to seal the crack you about want to drag the hose down the road and swear that you will never allow this to happen again.

I spent a lot of time trying to grow my hobby with inferior equipment and I worked 10 times harder than I needed to because I was alone in the woods so to speak.

mellondome
02-02-2018, 11:04 PM
Use the BW tigerflex. Food grade and is flexable to very cold temps. The key to longevity is to store it flat out of the sun and elements.
Few years ago i bought it from amazon in a 100' x 1.5" with free shipping. Was around $1.80/ft.

Here it is in 1"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EAA105U/ref=mp_s_a_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1517634042&sr=8-13&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=tigerflex+hose