PDA

View Full Version : syrup blending

andrew martin
05-26-2007, 08:06 PM
As many of you traders have noted, you sell a lot of medium and dark Grade A syrup, and I too find that true. The only problem now is I have a lot of light syrup remaining. So for next year, I am considering blending some Dark or Grade B with my light to make a medium/dark combination. I am not set up to make candy yet, otherwise I would take the light and make candy.
I want to give customers the syrup they like most - medium and dark-but I do not want to sacrifice flavor. Is a medium blended syrup similar in taste to a "straight medium" syrup? THis may be a quirky question, and some would argue "syrup is syrup," but I want to make a well-informed decision without sacrificing taste.

Andrew

mountainvan
05-26-2007, 10:03 PM
A light mixed with b will make a good tasting medium or dark. I have blended medium with b to make dark several times this year already. I don't think you'll be sacrificing flavor at all.

brookledge
05-28-2007, 08:00 PM
When blending you need to be careful with the taste. If you use syrup with a off flavor or bad flavor you will end up with bad tasting syrup even though the color may be good. When putting up your syrup in bulk it is good to rate your syrup on taste as well as color. For example mark it "grade B good flavor or grade B strong flavor". When blending you have to check the color as you go so that you don't end up with it to dark.
But you can use light A to blend with darker syrup to better use your syrup and it is ok.
Keith

maplehound
05-31-2007, 08:21 PM
I have always found that light syrup is best in glass containers. It will sparkel and gives a much better aperience than the darker grades.