PDA

View Full Version : Rule of 86 has my head spinning

Haynes Forest Products
01-29-2018, 04:54 PM
OK I went to the Proctor center site and read up on the Jones RULE of 86. I had to lay down and close my eyes because the room started to spin out of control. I will admit if I didnt get that 1/2 credit for drivers Ed. I would still be in school :cry:

So they settled on 86 as a way to make calculating how much sap it took to make a gallon of syrup back in 1946 OK that's fine BUT what about what is the proper density of pure maple syrup so it wont spoil and yet doesn't crystallize. I still cant get a straight answer to my question. If you were to make 10 gallons of over density syrup let it sit in a container for lets say one year and pour off the contents leaving sugar crystals behind would the remaining syrup be at its maximum density and at its best.:confused::confused:

I had someone try and tell me if crystals start to form they will keep forming until there is no more sugar in the syrup.................I told him he couldn't drink any more of my beer and made him go home.

Urban Sugarmaker
01-29-2018, 05:05 PM
Nice to hear from you Haynes!

Haynes Forest Products
01-29-2018, 05:14 PM
Thank you sir hope all is well. Are you tapped in yet. Its 59 degrees here and T shirt weather. Denver weather :lol:

Urban Sugarmaker
01-29-2018, 05:18 PM
Not yet. Back to winter here.

Super Sapper
01-29-2018, 05:48 PM
I think it was the Coors light that got your head spinning. By the way they use 87 now instead of 86. 67% is considered syrup now so divide 87 by your sap% to get gallons of sap to get a gallon of syrup.

Bob

sap retreiver
01-29-2018, 06:45 PM
That's a good laugh. But seriously, is it 67% sugar is syrup? And who or how did they come up with 86 now 87. Miller time may have caused an issue but I get lost in the big fancy articles. I just want to make sure I'm telling the facts when I say it goes from 2 to 67% to make perfection

RileySugarbush
01-29-2018, 06:47 PM
I think you are on to something, Chuck! The crystals don’t have maple flavor, so the remaining syrup must have stronger and stronger flavor. Has anyone tried to make super mapley syrup this way?

maple flats
01-30-2018, 11:47 AM
At one time the sugar % was lower than required now, that is why Jones rule was adjusted. I use 87 in my calculations.

mellondome
01-30-2018, 01:45 PM
https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/jones.pdf&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwjqw9S_uIDZAhVDn5QKHb0RAQoQFggLMAA&usg=AOvVaw0RtycTcoEdW1hrUhWZAFIE