PDA

View Full Version : New member

Userj8670
01-29-2018, 09:21 AM
Morning everyone -

New member here. Quick background - have made syrup very very primitively on a gas cook stove for a number of years...had about 8 taps. Recent years the interest had spiked and just bought a Smoky Lake 2x4. Gonna try for at least 25 taps but hopefully more.

Cheers

Jim

Haynes Forest Products
01-29-2018, 12:51 PM
Hang on Jim your in for a hell of a ride. My condolences to your family and friends.

tcross
01-29-2018, 01:49 PM
welcome... and good luck!

red dorakeen
01-29-2018, 03:09 PM
...and so it begins.

Welcome, there's a wealth of knowledge here for us newbies.

Did you get a divided pan?

If so, I think you might want to shoot for more taps. I was surprised how much sap I needed to boil to draw syrup from my Smoky Lake 2x4 divided pan.

barnbc76
01-29-2018, 05:51 PM
Welcome and have fun. Funny how each time I upgrade my evaporator setup I expect it to save me time, I think I ended last year with something like 60-80 hrs boiling time which was 50%-100% more than the previous year.

Userj8670
01-31-2018, 09:29 AM
...and so it begins.

Welcome, there's a wealth of knowledge here for us newbies.

Did you get a divided pan?

If so, I think you might want to shoot for more taps. I was surprised how much sap I needed to boil to draw syrup from my Smoky Lake 2x4 divided pan.

I did purchase a divided pan. I was told that the evap should work fine but I might need to draw off and finish inside with the lower # of trees. I am in pursuit of more taps....i hope. The evap gets delivered today!

How much wood do you go thru and do you have blown or naturally aspirated lol?