PDA

View Full Version : Hydrometer ( finally realized!)

Hunt4sap
01-29-2018, 07:03 AM
I just realized after reading through the literature that comes with my hydrometer and referring to questions on this site that I have been using my hydrometer wrong. (slightly) but I think what I did is make my syrup actually more done that I needed to so at least it wasn't under done...
211 degree syrup needs to read 32 baume correct?
I also have never actually taken a temperature reading while in the hydrometer cup when using the hydrometer. when my thermometer reads what the temperature needs to be for that day depending on barometric pressure I remove pot from stove Heat and quickly ladle that into hydrometer cup what is normally 220 degree before removing from Heat (syrup temperature)

I figured by the time that I Ladle about six Scoops into my hydrometer cup and slowly lower the hydrometer into it then it's probably been about 211 degrees but I was boiling it until it got to 66 on the Brix scale(36 baume)

But that red line for 66 bricks or 36 baume is for 60 degree temperature syrup...(not 211 degree.)

Sorry to be so long-winded on this but I believe that I am finally straightened away on how this needs to be technically done

Potters3
01-29-2018, 07:17 AM
Can be tricky, most have two lines 1 for hot syrup and another for cold. Especially at the beginning of the year, I always catch myself looking at the wrong line. I picked up a cheat sheet at one of the open houses that show what baume for different temps that I us when opening barrels to can.

Haynes Forest Products
01-29-2018, 08:54 AM
Hunt4sap Fist keep you hydro cup warm as possible and fill it from your draw off valve over you bucket . if that wont work for you I always have pliers in my pocket and I just hold by the handle and scoop out of the evap or the finisher. Quick and easy every time.
There are also Hydrometer cups that have the temp probe built into them so you have the hydro and temp all at once.

Hunt4sap
01-29-2018, 06:49 PM
Here's baume lines on my hydrometer
Here's Brix lines on my hydrometer

My interpretation is when using baume lines use upper line(32 baume ) for syrup that is 211, or 35 baume when syrup is 60 degrees.

My question is if syrup is 216 degrees Fahrenheit is 32 baume still what I'm calling done?

Hope pictures help b/c up till now I thought 211 degrees syrup was finished at lower line for some reason?

My interpretation was that it needs to be 66 Brix from reading other questions/ answers from other people on here?

66 Brix at 60 degrees Fahrenheit would be right by how I'm looking at it, or 32 baume at 211 degrees Fahrenheit?

Sugarbush Ridge
01-29-2018, 10:23 PM
The top red line is always for hot syrup,,,, 211* regardless of which side of you read Brix at 59 or baume at 32. The lower line is for 60* syrup ,, Brix at 67 or baume at 36. Top line for hot 211*,,,, lower line for 60*.

bowhunter
01-30-2018, 11:15 AM
I agree, the top line is always for hot syrup. The temperature of finished syrup in the evaporator is going to be about 219-221 Deg F depending on the barometric pressure, but it will cool slightly as you draw syrup into the cup and put the hydrometer in the syrup. This measurement should be accurate enough to draw by. I always draw a little heavy (red line floating above the level of the syrup.) off the evaporator and measure and adjust with permeate to the finished brix before filtering. I shoot for 212-214 F when adjusting to the finished brix so that I'm measuring very close to 211 F. I also hold the cup and hydrometer in the syrup to get them up to the correct temperature, before I do the measurement.

maple flats
01-30-2018, 11:39 AM
As I start testing I draw into the cup and float the hydrometer, as density gets close I draw off and dump it back into whatever I'm drawing from (finisher or canner) about 3x then take a reading. That was before I got a Murphy Cup, not I still draw and dump once, then get a reading.
A murphy cup or Murphy Float just tell you what the hydrometer should read at whatever temperature the sample is at. I just fill and dump once because then the sample does not change it's temp. as fast, making it easier to get a good reading.

Hunt4sap
01-30-2018, 03:58 PM
Ok thanks to all!
Where I was getting confused as people talk about it being 67% sugar so I was making it between 66 and 67 at around 200 to 210 degrees so I was making it a little bit heavier actually I guess but I was always at a temperature of between 219 and 221 when it was at the 66 line so that's confusing to me?

I use an app for calculating what temperature at my location that syrup should be for that minute...

buckeye gold
01-30-2018, 05:40 PM
I made a copper cup and that sucker holds heat big time. I fill and dump a couple time while holding it over the finisher. I have put probe in it and the temp has stayed pretty consistent, so I know where to check by. I will still spot check at room temp. sometimes to be sure. Your best test is at stable room temps. using a chart.