PDA

View Full Version : What's new to you this season

lords sugaring
01-28-2018, 09:37 PM
Looking to see what NH has been up to in the off season to make this season better. I picked a new lapierre raised flue evaporator. Can't wait to see this thing in action here very soon. Just finished up cutting all my board and bricks and will get this thing bricked up by next weekend. Also started on a 12x16 sugar shack and will be finishing that this summer. It will be nice next season to finally get out of the elements with electricity and running water. Hope you all have a great season this year !!

Wingo87
01-29-2018, 07:15 AM
I have a new 10x14 sugarhouse, a lunchbox vacuum system, and my neighbor got a RO that we tried out yesterday which was awesome. Took 130gal of sap down to 35gal and boiled it on my small evaporator, now I want one!

Potters3
01-29-2018, 07:19 AM
New Lapierre 2 post R/O, worked on starting to plumb it this weekend. Hopefully I have a chance to us it soon.

drtucker74
01-30-2018, 09:14 AM
We upgraded our "main" 300 gallon sap tank this year to a 519 gallon stainless tank and built a new pressure treated platform with stairs. The old set up was a bit unstable with a little 2x4 ladder. Also purchase a Can Am Defender the end of last season and it has proven to be very useful in clean up, getting wood and general maintenance around the sugarbush.

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
01-31-2018, 02:10 AM
Set of raised Flue Smoky Lake 2x6 pans.
Maple Jet electric pump filter press
Hoping to break ground on my new 16x20 sugar shack in the spring. :-D

Have a good season everyone!

Russell Lampron
01-31-2018, 05:14 AM
I had Bill Mason build me an air tight arch for my Algier pans. I did a test boil last Sunday and I have never seen my flue pan boil as hard. I cant wait to boil some sap in it.

whity
02-01-2018, 03:57 PM
We have a new sap tank and AOF coming. New addition for the sap tank as well. Also tons of new drops and 5/16 tubing to fix years of old tubing.

ACfarmerNH
02-01-2018, 06:16 PM
We upgraded from a barrel stove sitting outside to a Mason 2x3 and a 10x12 shack. We also switched half (25) of our buckets to tubing... looking forward to seeing it all in use.

Russell Lampron
02-01-2018, 07:59 PM
We have a new sap tank and AOF coming. New addition for the sap tank as well. Also tons of new drops and 5/16 tubing to fix years of old tubing.

When are you getting your new arch front?

whity
02-03-2018, 04:54 AM
When are you getting your new arch front?

We just picked it up yesterday. We also picked up our tank from Windswept Maples. Nice tank. Looks like today we start the install the AOF

bcarpenter
02-03-2018, 02:44 PM
Smoky Lake Water Jacketed Bottler for us here in Bedford.

SmellsLikeSyrupNH
02-05-2018, 09:18 PM
Smoky Lake Water Jacketed Bottler for us here in Bedford.

Have a great season from your neighbor in Merrimack!

johnallin
03-05-2018, 02:52 PM
I had Bill Mason build me an air tight arch for my Algier pans. I did a test boil last Sunday and I have never seen my flue pan boil as hard. I cant wait to boil some sap in it.

Russ, is this the 2x6 beast that gets you 65 gph? Wonder what that could do for my Leader raised flue Patriot 2x4 flu and 2x2 Revolution set of pans...

Russell Lampron
03-05-2018, 06:15 PM
Russ, is this the 2x6 beast that gets you 65 gph? Wonder what that could do for my Leader raised flue Patriot 2x4 flu and 2x2 Revolution set of pans...

Yep that's the beast! I've got a set of Algier pans on it. A 2x4 raised flue pan and 2x2 syrup pan. I built a bubbler for both pans and it has a steam hood and pre-heater on the flue pan.

Some action photos.

Mark-NH
03-05-2018, 07:27 PM
We added a Wes Fab short bank filter press to replace the flat filters we had used for 15 years. Took a night or 2 to dial in but she is up and running. Very happy with the addition

Benny8
03-06-2018, 03:09 AM
Well, we are just getting started for our first year. We have 3 trees tapped at our house(silver maples) and 3 trees up to our camp property(sugar). Seven taps total. Last weekend we built a block arch and I ordered a pan from Silver Creek Maple Equipment. The pan is 18x34. Looking forward to boiling some sap this weekend. The camp property will hopefully become our permanent residence(still trying to convince the wife), where we will build a small Sugar House. The land will work out nice as there is a steep down hill run to the proposed shack site. Potential for a large number of taps on this property.

whity
03-06-2018, 01:54 PM
Yep that's the beast! I've got a set of Algier pans on it. A 2x4 raised flue pan and 2x2 syrup pan. I built a bubbler for both pans and it has a steam hood and pre-heater on the flue pan.

Some action photos.

Looks good Russ! We got our AOF all installed and dialed in. Works great. Getting an average of 60gph with no RO18002

DrTimPerkins
03-06-2018, 02:49 PM
We started on a retrofit of our sugarhouse late last summer. We weren't able to finish up due to a new grant we received that required us to drop everything and get it set up for the fall/winter/spring seasons.

Changes so far include:

Two 3,000 gal Lapierre sap tanks (previous 3,000 gal H2O tank moved to secondary permeate storage)
1,500 gal Lapierre primary RO permeate tank
1,200 gal Lapierre HOT permeate tank
(the hot permeate tank sits on a custom-welded steel support frame above the secondary permeate tank)
Customized 60 gal Lapierre Barrel Filler to allow for temporary syrup storage/heating
2 x 60 gal Lapierre Drawoff Tank for Pan Sweet Storage during pan cleaning
90 gal Lapierre RO Wash Tank for hot water storage.
6th post for Lapierre HyperBrix RO
Inline Refractometer for RO
H2O Pan Wash Tank/Pump
Hydra Releaser (for testing)
Two D&G 10" Extended Filter Presses with Diaphragm Pumps/Support Stands
Two SS 10' Grizzly Storage Benches
SS 12' Grizzly Workbench
Double Sink
650 gal refrigerated bulk tank (concentrate storage)
Motorized ball valves on concentrate tank and primary permeate tank
Hot and cold permeate distribution plumbing with pumps
Washable walls (about 1/3 done)
Expanded upstairs catwalk area with metal grating floor
40 gal Lapierre jacketed canning unit
1142 Busch Vacuum Pump (Lapierre) with VFD and auto-start stop (normally we don't use temperature based start/stop, but this pump is for a research project running from Oct-Apr, so it needn't be on during the extreme winter months)

The goal is to optimize the throughput, efficiency and appearance of our operation. Everything is workable right now, but some tweaking to do after the season is over.

When that is finished (next summer) we move on to Phase II (summer/fall 2019), a new sugarbush installation (about 1,200 taps), storage/pump facility, and capacity to pump sap from this site, and the shed across the road, directly to the sugarhouse. Currently we truck sap about 1/3 mile up from one shed, and we want to eliminate that. When all is finished, we'll have ~6,000 taps (we had ~1,400 prior to 2004), and all sap will be pumped directly to the sugarhouse.

When all is done, we will likely have some surplus equipment to sell (tanks, filter press, pump).

johnallin
03-06-2018, 03:57 PM
Wow! 21 line items....that's very impressive and will likely help the rest of us.

But I still want one of those Mason 2X6's that will boil off 65 gph! Russ fill us in on the details.

Russell Lampron
03-07-2018, 05:43 AM
Wow! 21 line items....that's very impressive and will likely help the rest of us.

But I still want one of those Mason 2X6's that will boil off 65 gph! Russ fill us in on the details.

It's not a true AUF/AOF arch because the AOF is only blown through the front and not from the sides too. I also only has one blower for both, not a low pressure blower for AUF and high pressure blower for AOF. The pre heater and bubbler help with the evaporation rate too. Boiling 14% concentrate helps too. I don't remember the formula but I think that it went something like this. Discount the first and last hour for heat up and cool down and subtract the amount of syrup that you draw off in an hour. That formula doesn't work for me so I have to estimate. The longest that I have boiled this season has been 2 hours and 20 minutes. I had 1,100 gallons to start with for that boil. I figure the amount of concentrate that I start with and divide it by how many hours that I boiled from start to finish minus the gallons of syrup. Last night I started with 700 gallons of sap, concentrated that down to 105 gallons of concentrate, made 10 gallons of syrup and boiled for 1.5 hours. That included start up and shut down. The sap wasn't very sweet to start with either.

3% Solution
03-07-2018, 08:48 AM
Well let's see ....

New line with 78 taps ...
Filter press .. actually from last year ... late season ..

That's it for us ...

Birdland Sugarbush
03-07-2018, 03:11 PM
7 more buckets!